Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Somebody wanna share their favorite perch flies?

Hi there all. in a month or two I am gonna be fishing a lake that not only has a healthy population of *woot* smallmouth bass, but also perch, and bigger fish eat lil fish you all know how that goes. So, I am wondering if anybody has any good working perch imitations? If so, please share with pictures if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Jan I sent you a PM but I am not sure if the PM worked?? Let me know.

The only perch imitation I tie up is 8 inches long and designed for pike. I do have a couple of pencil poppers and slider that are designed as perch imitations.

post-309-1240019895_thumb.jpg

post-309-1240019920_thumb.jpg

post-309-1240019947_thumb.jpg

post-309-1240019991_thumb.jpg

:wallbash: When I use a small leach pattern (any kind) just so its black I catch perch be accident. I guess the like the leaches the same as their cousins the walleye and saugeye do. I usually don't fish for perch but if I catch them they are good to fry up.

I use Clousers that are a mix of green and yellow deer hair for the belly (hook point side, which is top side up when the fly is fished) and white for the back, with a few splashes of orange or red thrown in with the white (maybe 3 or 4 hairs).

Works great on the smallies in the water that I fish most often. I've found, though, that it only works in the couple of weeks that I catch perch in shallow on nymphs. Other times they just aren't that interested... matching the hatch. Last year I tied them in size 6... this year as big as 3/0 for bigger largemouth and BIG smallmouth in a local lake.