Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred&Ruth

NATURAL FUR

I just got a partial opossum pelt and almost a whole raccoon. I just finished cleaning and boraxing and all the good stuff and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on using both furs. The opossum underfur looks very nice its fluffy and a nice color it also has very long guard hairs. The raccoon on the other hand is very course and long I do think the tail will make tailing and perhaps wings on a dry fly. I washed both of them and then soaked them in a hair conditioner so they are very managable. I have combed the raccoon with our dog brush and got some underfur thats a nice light brown color. any ideas you all have will be greatly appreciated. I did see a video where a guy made a dubbing brush out of groundhog fur and I think the raccoon would also work for that I am going to try it and see. I have only been tying a short while but I do have access to lots of natural fur where I live. thanks all Fred

The underfur from almost anything can be dubbed on a hook, most workout fine. If the color suits the pattern, then use either. So many patterns call for one specific fur, simply because when they were origionated, that was the fur used. Now when died furs are available in many colors, its really not necessary to match a specific fur to a pattern. You can use a similar fur that has been died the right color.

The underfur from almost anything can be dubbed on a hook, most workout fine. If the color suits the pattern, then use either. So many patterns call for one specific fur, simply because when they were origionated, that was the fur used. Now when died furs are available in many colors, its really not necessary to match a specific fur to a pattern. You can use a similar fur that has been died the right color.

utyer,

thanks for the info. I have gotten some underfur from the raccoon but I didnt get any when I combed the opossum out with the dog comb. The possum is very long and white with black tips I am not sure yet how to use it. I may try to use it for wings or tails. I havent put any in the dubbing blender/coffee grinder. I have tried to use the raccoon hair for wings but it is very slippery. I havnt been able to tame it yet although it has great color. I am going to try to make some tails with it . I will be sure to let you know how I make out with both I think the coloring is nice on both and the white from the possum can be dyed any color again thanks for your reply. fred

I cut the tips of the guardhairs off of possum hides then shear the fur off the pelt for an imitation seal fur dubbing. Like you said it can easily be dyed whatever color you want. Makes great nymphs and scuds.