Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
foambug

whats home made?

<_< ok i just wanted to see well i made some bobbins out of wd40 straw an a coat hanger an duct tape ..it was ok ..an worked ..so i got to thinkin we have a very creative bunch here ..what have you made thats homemade an worked ..from vest to tying equipment ...share the knowledge

i have a very nice matching pair of large bodkins made from 10 gauge steel needles froma commerical sewing factory with antler handles...i also have bodkins made from the same needles with wing bone handles from wild turkey...not hard to make, but are great for poppers and big flies...made a balsa stamp out of brass pipe...works nicely

I make some bobbins outa brass polished music wire and a soldering iron, i have made fly tying benches, and i make hooks out of annealed electric fence wire then i temper it

Home-made dubbing needle, made er outta a thin metal spike and a old cork knife handle. Works suprisingly well. Oh yeah and a hair-stacker from a 12 gauge shell

I made a tying bench a dubbing brush from a 22 cal gun cleaning brush and melted it into a cut off toothbrush handle. I tore apart and old computer and took the magnet out of the hard drive I put a string on it and pick up all my metal tools and hooks I drop. TheI magnet is the so strong it will pull a hook from 6 or 7 inches away you only have to get close I never lose hooks anymore in my tying shed. I made a rotating vice from an old drill I tore apart and used the chuck. It actually works but not for anything smaller than a size 16 hook and also it doesnt look real pretty. I made a tool caddy and a very cool thread holder it holds more than 80 spools of thread and only takes up about 6 inches on my tying bench. I am always looking for things I can make from scrap things I find I never throw anything away anymore without taking a good look at it and checking to see if it is useful for tying. I have only been tying for a year now but have never bought any dubbing I live in the country and have all kinds of animals here that I have skinned and dyed and bleached and I also have been given ducks and other things from the local hunters since I dont duck hunt. I do buy hackle of course until I start raising some good quality chickens after I do a little more research on the subject. cant think of much more right now but I am sure theres more.thanks for the topic. fred

I made a drying rack for flies. I used bead chain, two dowels and two similiar bases. Works great and cost a hell of a lot less than they sell for.

So I was looking at the Magic Tool the other night, and was thinking how great it would be to have one. Well I dont have an extra 40 bucks for a set at the moment, but I did have some stuff laying around that I could use to make an impromptu version. Havent had a chance to use it yet but I am sure it will work....just how well is the question.

Here is what you will need...

Two large bulldog clips (obviously you can sub a smaller set for more delicate work), some 1/4 vinyl tubing, a razor blade, some needle nose pliers, and a irwin quick grip.

DSCF0784.jpg

Now cut the tubing to the length of the bulldog clips and split them down the center, and apply them to the jaws

(and dont cut your self with the razor blade...like I did)

DSCF0790.jpg

Now take your needle nose pliers and bend the handles of the clips out at the tips and also angle the handles inward

(this will keep the quick grips from slipping off the handles)

DSCF0792.jpg

Now apply your quick grips to the bent handles of the clips, and apply enough pressure to separate the jaws of the clips enough to slide your materials down inside the jaws.

DSCF0793.jpg

DSCF0794.jpg

your done, for those of you who dont know what a magic tool is here is a link that will show you what they do.

anyway let me know what you think.

I made my tools ,bobin holder,my 2 vices :rolleyes:

Well if ya ever get bored, feel free to make me a vise as well.

Went i made the first one 4 friend from work what one ,i made 4 more vice at the same time ,it a big job am not equipe to make production lol

I think i made the last one! :rolleyes: