Fly Tying
Dezod

Tiny Tiny Thread

yes Futzer is evil, he makes us all convert to tiny tiers.

I'm fishing hard today with all my fancy flies with the best materials my money can buy and the guy on the other side of the stream is pulling in more fish then me using this stupid honey bug fly they love around here... its made with a single piece of green low grade chenille. the stripped core makes the tail and then just wrap it up the hook. the chenille is such junk (cotton) that you can't even buy it in a fly shop. I caught half the fish but at least on honest flies

sorry had to vent... I'm sure Riddley knows what I'm talking about

peace

But you caught fish, well and true and honorably! Hold your head high! Cheers, Futzer.

Hey SaltyD, now that you have fallen to the dark side of the 32 force, leave a few of the heads white, or contrasting colors. Just a little Futzer tip on tiny flies, sometimes that different head color is the ticket.

Cheers, Futzer.

Futzer

If you weren't using markered thread to affect the head demarcation, would it still be worthwhile to stop short and rety in a different color thread? do you think below size #24 it would be too difficult or would slop up the fly?

I always appreciate your sage advice.

By the way I hit the shop today and bought olive and a yellow/brown spools of 12/0. You all will be the downfall of me! :shifty: and a good thing the fly shop is open after work only one night a week. Im going to go try the 12/0 on that Henry's Fork Caddis I saw posted and some of Terje's cdc emergers. There may be cursing.

Hi Riddleyffo, I use a lot more 8/0 Uni even down to 24s, I pull out the tiny thread beyond that. If I do not have a color that I like for the fly; since colors are limited in the fine stuff. I use a contrasting color and do not worry about switching colors to have head color. I use a lot of red, white, and green as I like that contrast for trout bugs. Two of my coworkers just got laid off, so my life will get busy here, but sometime this summer lets organize a tiny swap, or a contest, maybe over 30s. Or maybe tie 26, 28, 30 and 32 of the same pattern. Could be fun.

Cheers, Futzer.

Futzer I think that a tiny tiny swap would be challenging and fun this summer if you have time.

Do you have an adjustable tensioning bobbin you use with the tiny thread?

C

I use nearly all C&F bobbins, they make a midge size with a smaller diameter tube. They are expensive, but high quality and I have never "notched" the tube. I learned long ago to use the pinky finger of my right hand to put tension on the side outer edge of the spool. So kind of like palming your reel. I control my own tension. With tiny thread, you barely need thread tension. I do bend the spool holding legs of the midge bobbin out so the tension on the spool spinning is nearly non existent. I take a cue tip and use a tiny little amount of spray type Super Lube brand synthetic lubricant in the hole edges of the thread spool. Just give the que tip a tiny squirt from the aerosol can over a trash can. Careful not to drip any on the thread, as it discolors it. You only need the tiniest amout and it lasts a long time. I have tried a Tie Rite bobbin after one of Fred H.'s posts on tools and I like the self tension adjustment alot. I have difficulty since they only have one support arm and I am used to two, as I hold the bobbin with the base of my thumb, not just my finger tips.

Hope that is not too complicated to visualize, cheers, Jeff.

I was using 17/0 last night on some #22's and I drove me nuts. I can never get my bobbin adjusted right and it keeps snapping.

Hi Ibian, just a thought, are you using a ceramic tube bobbin, any nick in a metal one will really ruin your 17/0 day. Cheers, Futzer.

Thanks I am using a Dr. Slick ceramic tube bobbin, I believe it's sticks on the plastic pieces that hold the spool in place. It's really not a good design.

I finally made it out to the fly shop today. I was going to buy a spool each of the uni trico 17-0 and the Benachi 12-0, but instead got talked into a spool of 74 denier Largutan in bright white. I came home and tied a parachute BWO in a #28. The thread can be spun so that you can lay the thread down in a rope or flat, they said that a lot of the classic salmon guys like it a lot because it lays so flat. It is pretty strong, but seems to be half the diameter of the UTC 70 denier thread that I typically use on my BWOs. It took marker really well, so even though the colors are limited it is okay because I have a lot of permanent markers. 98% of my flies a I tie with uni 8-0, the other 2% I use UTC 70 denier, but for the tiny tinys this largutan stuff was not mentioned in this thread, but I am quite pleased down onto the #28s.

C

I use Uni myself and a marker. I have also used 8/0 , with fewer wraps. Gordon Griffiths makes 14/0. gonna order some from stockard to try out.

I use nothing below a 3/0 monocord for my 32s and I love it. I never have to worry about thread tension........ <_< :bugeyes:

Just kidding. I should really tie something under a 20. :rolleyes: I do have some Uni Trico, so I guess I just need some hooks.

Justin

I use nothing below a 3/0 monocord for my 32s and I love it. I never have to worry about thread tension........ <_< :bugeyes:

Just kidding. I should really tie something under a 20. :rolleyes: I do have some Uni Trico, so I guess I just need some hooks.

Justin

What would Chuck tie with? Chuck Norris is so tough he can tie saltwater patterns with 20/0

20/0 Uni thread and 12/0 Benecchi are the best.

I use Gordon Griffith's 14/0 almost exclusively. Lays flat or you can twist it up. Danville's has 16/0 spiderweb too. Not sure how much I like that stuff as I only used it a few times but it got the job done. I have some of that 17/0 uni trico stuff but haven't got around to using that either. I tied a size 32 couple years back but can't recall what thread I used....

I'll have to check out that 20/0 thread just for fun though....