Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Worstcaster

Knot

I tied some bluegill patterns using the high tying technique introduced in this form earlier. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=43488

The flies came out pretty good, but I don't like how far forward the hooks points are on the finished flies. I solved this by tying a piece of 30 lb test mono the the hook bend and the eye on another hook. I used an improved cinch for the first one (my most commonly used knot), but because it take so much line to pull tight the hook is trailing the fly some. For the second I used a square knot, but I am afraid it will come apart. Can anyone suggest another knot to use that tightens with a short length of mono and is strong when finished?

Double the 30lb mono over and then tie the two tag ends to the hook that you are tying the material on. This will create a loop hanging off the fly. Let the loop hang back as far as you want the trailer hook to hang. Then take the loop and run it through the eye of the trailer hook, then put the trailer hook through the loop and tighten down. This will allow you to remove/replace trailer hooks as needed. Of course you will have to tie in the mono to the main hook before you start tying the fly.

Its hard to explain in writing but if you have any questions let me know.

I use a snell knot on the rear hook, then tye the mono into the front fly doubled over, that way I can control the lenght to the rear hook.

Cheers, Futzer.