Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Beginner Tyier

Tent Caterpiller

Wait a few minutes and I'll check the road side. :hyst: :hyst: millions and millions descending upon us like paratroopers from ww2. :j_k: Sorry about that couldn't resist it. Need more coffee.

No I haven't seen one but would be interested if you found one.

If you post a couple of pics of a live one we might be able to come up with a couple of patterns for you.

It would be a fun project.

Fred

If you post a couple of pics of a live one we might be able to come up with a couple of patterns for you.

Fred

Hey Fred I just captured a couple and euthanized them with cloroform you wnat me to send them to you?

Fred

Hey Fred I just captured a couple and euthanized them with cloroform you wnat me to send them to you?

Absolutely, and I'll send you back some flies of them if you like.

Fred

We had such a bad infestion a fews years back I couldn't figure out what that munching sound was. We thought we were loosing our minds. Sent the kids to investigate and then we heard the screams. 12 huge maples, 40 yr olds, were covered in them. Couldn't see the bark and the munching?... them eating the leaves. unbeleivable.

We told the kids we would take them for ice cream if they could whack em to bits. well.. what a mess. Don't want to go there again. But the ice cream was great.

post-9630-1243525239_thumb.jpg

Twofingerz....you're alive! I haven't seen you around, i almost assumed those things carried you off!

They're like Gypsy Moths they don't go away. Great Blue Gill food though. We'd throw bucket fulls into Lake Hopatcong when I was a kid and watch the feeding frenzy.

Rich,

Didn't know the gills would eat them....have watched the robins grab them in the yard and them spit 'em right back out...didn't realize anything ate them...thought they may have a toxic or bitter taste...but back to the original post...depending on how realistic you want to go, you may get a really fishable pattern out of black foam and yellow hackle palmered...just a generic starting point :dunno:

Rich,

Didn't know the gills would eat them... :dunno:

Sorry my bad I should have clarified better. I Meant the Gypsy Moth Caterpillars. Blue Gills love'm

Here's a better photo if anyone wants to tie up the tent caterpillar

post-19761-1243543558_thumb.jpg

and one for the Gypsy Moth caterpillar

post-19761-1243543623_thumb.jpg

oh, okay....saw a foam catalpa worm last summer...that was a neat tie...If the tent caterpillar pattern becomes a reality, I would love to see it..But I would think most black and yellow caterpillar patterns would be effective on most panfish and some less discerning trout....But Fred and guys in the Realistic forum could have a lot of fun with this!

I think this could be tied in much the same way as Michael Verduin's Catalpa Worm which uses a overhand weaving technique for the body. I was going to try one but don't have the white to make the top stripe. I'll see if I can get some and give it a try. In the mean time, here's a photo of the Verduin Catalpa Worm to give you some idea of what I'm talking about:

Catalpa%20Worm%20from%20PWFF%202.jpg

TxEngr