Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

Dog found the hare's mask

I have a sheep skin my mother gave me a few years ago, I use it keep my feet warm on cold winter nights, when I'm tying in my cellar. My dog decided that I needed some natural wool dubbing and a new wool patch to hold my flies. The skin's back on the wall. Wash and trimmed the piece that that he ripped out of the skin, squared it and attached a safety pin to it, It now resides on my fishing hat.

There's plenty left of that mask. I had an operation on my wrist last winter and my tying area is upstairs in an old attic space so I didn't get up there between early December and early March. I'm still finding the damage but a mouse or two had a great winter up there. The total is up to 8 bucktails, a partridge skin, golden pheasant, sharptail grouse, 4 grizzly hen necks, and several picked over grizzly saddles. Somehow they made it up there past 6 cats and two dogs. Traps worked after I discovered the problem but every where I look I find where they have taken a nip out of here and there. They completely ate the hide from the bucktails and made a mess of the hair so I couldn't even use it.

Yes, the mask isn't totally destroyed, and I took Ray's advice on making it into a mess of dubbing. That is some fine dubbin it made!

Very industrius there, Rich. You gave me a good idea.

Jan

p.s: I knew I hated mice for a good reason :gun_bandana:

That reminds me of the time my cat found a bag of feathers I left out. I don't remember what specifically they where, but when I came home from work there was feathers all over the dinning room, living room and the hall way. Maybe 100 feathers or so.

Bobo who is 1/2 black lab and 1/2 bull mastiff has eaten (not just chewed up but fully digested and found in piles in the back yard) among other things, 1/2 a phone book, every insole he can tug out of my shoes, a pair of Doc martins (sole included), 10-20 tennis balls, my knee brace (you know the big pro football player hinged type that cost 200 clams) and to many other smaller and way more valuable fur strips and bird feather collections, ie jungle cock, amhurst pheasant, peacock,,,,, on and on and on! My vet can now afford his vacation home thanks to Bobo and all the xrays, laxatives and assorted visits to the Vet ER. now he isn't allowed in my tying room unless I am there and watching him, i noticed a bundle of flash yesterday just mysteriously slide off of the desk and into his waiting jaws! LOL! gotta love em cuz I don't think I could carry his dead carcass out the door! He is up to a buck 40 now a year and a half. He's a total pain in my pocket book but the bestest fishin buddy and body guard I guy could pray for! Not to mention i love the crap out of him!

post-12017-1244311035_thumb.jpg

Now you know why my profile avatar looks so crazy!!!

I had a similar problem once when our family dog found several bucktails I had salted in our garage right after deer season. He thought he was pretty sneaky but I got the last laugh when he was plugged up for the next three days and did some funny walks across the lawn dragging his butt. Just recently he dicided to eat a golf ball and couldn't get it out so it cost my parents $1300 for surgery. He was lucky my dad loved him a lot because you can buy a lot of fly tying materials for $1300 to replace the ones he ate. :devil:

DSC00186.jpg

No dogs or cats. However, not long ago, I was "experimenting" curing some squirrel tail/hide after the poor critter had lost a game of dodge with my Dodge. I had the hide salted and tacked down flat on a board sitting on top of a picnic table on my back porch. Late that night, some of the local raccoons got to it and heisted it. The next morning, I saw a bunch of little feet prints on top of the table, but no hide. I eventually found the board about 30 yards out in the woods, but both the squirrel hide and tail had been ripped or chewed off. Guess they didn't mind the salt. :blink: