Fly Tying
Fred H.

How as a fly tier do you view realistics?

How do you veiw realistics  

571 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FRED.H. you opend a can of worms, BUT it's been opened befor. fly tying is for EVERYONE ,so why not just ENJOY IT. an PROGRESS in what ever DIRECTION you like. just keep tyin.

GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN

I put down lure making but I think that art form rings true as well.When I found this site the realistics are what impressed me the most.Shortly after I joined and from what I have read the best pattern to start out with is a ant.Does anyone have a step by step of a realistic ant? what kind of materials does one use?Is there a good beginners book on the subject?I think I see it from more of a scientific view .It made me want to study about real insects (entomology). :headbang:

I put down lure making but I think that art form rings true as well.When I found this site the realistics are what impressed me the most.Shortly after I joined and from what I have read the best pattern to start out with is a ant.Does anyone have a step by step of a realistic ant? what kind of materials does one use?Is there a good beginners book on the subject?I think I see it from more of a scientific view .It made me want to study about real insects (entomology). :headbang:

I don't know of any SBS for a realistic ant, but the materials that are used are just black thread, mono in different sizes, and black paint/marker. i use 30lb test, 15lb test and then 7lb test. tie these on to make the back of fly and cover with thread and then tie in three pieces of the 7lb test for the legs then a 30 for the head and cover and tie in 7lb test for antenee. Then bend the legs, there are many ways to do this, but I heat a bodkin and then press it to the legs/antenee and bend them. then paint or color the legs and antenee.

I'm relatively new to this site, but have admired Fred's work since I first saw it a year ago. Most fly tying can be considered an art form, and like any form of art there are various degrees of difficulty.

Realistic is indeed much different in style from full dressed Atlantic salmon flies, but both are still art, and both are at the top of the difficulty scale in my opinion. In terms of practicality, it's all relative. A realistic or full dressed salmon fly that took 8 hours (or more) to tie is no less practical than a 3 minute dry fly, as a $1500 hand crafted bamboo rod is over a $50 mass produced graphite rod. Just because it's art doesn't mean it cant be enjoyed and used.

I agree with you on the part about the flies, but I do think that are differences between the $1500 rod and $50. Now I do think that the max some one should pay for a rod is about 200, but with the higher priced rods there is more sensetivity and how they cast and the overall quality of them.

I voted art form as I am reminded all too often. My brother is a realistic tier (although certainly not as good as Fred and others here), and every holiday it is something like "look at my new <i>siphlonurus aestivalis</i>" and I am "err.....look at my new ragged bit of sheep's wool and copper wire." I have much respect and admiration for anyone who can do this.

Jani

Oh man I about fell out my chair. That was funny!

I need two votes....one for "An art form", and one for "another style of tying", because it is both really, just like classic salmon flies...and hats off to those that do it well (I myself am plenty jealous of you), as it is blasted impressive, and not something that all tiers can accomplish.

It has another bonus in that the crazy buggers that do it are always experimenting with the most unexpected and insane materials, and that research trickles down into regular tying, allowing the rest of us information on materials that we might not have considered otherwise.

I have a folder on my computer full of hi-def photos of some staggering realistic flies that I like to use as a screen saver....keep it up guys!

I'm new here, so hello to the crowd.

I voted "not worth the effort" because in my

experience, simpler patterns are as effective.

However, it's worth journeying into the Realistic

World once in a while to sharpen personal skills and

to appreciate the work of others.

So I sometimes tie, for example, a complicated hopper

pattern. Adds some snazz to the flybox, and is the one

I'll probably select to give someone else I meet on the

river. Wouldn't want to give 'em something without

snazz...

I believe all flytying is an art form. However, realistics is truely one of the highest forms of of the art!

I agree with Seadog on this. I love to admire what others are able to craft and seek to emulate some of their abilities. I tie primarily for myself but, now and again I attempt a Classic or a Realistic for a flyfishing family member or friend.

I need two votes....one for "An art form", and one for "another style of tying", because it is both really, just like classic salmon flies...and hats off to those that do it well (I myself am plenty jealous of you), as it is blasted impressive, and not something that all tiers can accomplish.

It has another bonus in that the crazy buggers that do it are always experimenting with the most unexpected and insane materials, and that research trickles down into regular tying, allowing the rest of us information on materials that we might not have considered otherwise.

I have a folder on my computer full of hi-def photos of some staggering realistic flies that I like to use as a screen saver....keep it up guys!

EXACTLY!!!! I voted another form of fly tying, because in my mind fly tying is the fly anglers art. Some people craft bamboo fly rods or graphite fly rods and that is another form of art. A hook to me is like a blank canvas, waiting for the artist to skillfully apply substances to create something. Just like art it can be impressionistic, realistic look, or incredibly detailed and ultra-realistic. This is just another form of tying, one that takes a lot of skill and perfectionism, but it is, as all tying is, an art. The main difference is that we use that piece of art for a purpose, namely to catch fish.

I think of it as both "Highest form of Tying" and "An Art Form". I personally view it as that combination with my attitude of them being used to catch fish. The fish judges are the ultimate form of accomplishment or disapproval. I know many fish are taken from unrealistic forms of flies because of their instincts to protect their feeding area or bedding area. In that case I relate them in similarity to young Deer...they are the first ones out in the field. The ultimate judge is that wary old fish that even ignores real if for whatever reason it does not look right to them. If a realistic form Fly can entice that fish to feed on it...in my opinion nothing else can be said. I can understand that some people put many, many, many days into tying a single Fly making sure everything is perfect and close to natural as possible. To fish that Fly I can not understand and personally I would never do it. To me that would be like taking a Picasso out into the woods and nailing it to a Tree. The issue is that I have not tied that Fly and anything the Artist wants to do with their work is obviously completely up to them. Should I ever develop that kind of talent I suppose I could make that decision or not...I may never become that but the option is still open if I'm breathing.

I am really impressed by the incredible creations some guys are coming up with. But I can't help but wonder: do they actually fish with those things? I know I wouldn't. If I tied something that pretty I wouldn't want to get it wet or dirty. And some of them are so delicate, I don't see how they could survive fishing.

One thing, though: I'm impressed by guys like Dronlee, who make such realistic bug legs out of feathers... I'm less impressed when people buy pre-made bug legs to use. That's like one of those airplane models that you just take two plastic sides and glue them together, and you're finished.

I am just in AWE when I see one tied up. I don't think I could ever fish with one though, just couldn't seeing myself ruining a beautiful fly. Hats off to you guys that have the patience to tie these type flys.