Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Gibbons

pliers

I cant locate at this moment, ][the post about sissors] I just bot the set, drslick,[3] long,med,and sht. pt.,as a guy interjected, "my fiscars" bot for 1.00 6 of them, he said he gave 3 away,were best. My opinion,'he's right on. In his book'Basic Flytying" Charlie Craven tells you what& how of primary tools. Now to the point: who really knows from experience the best hackle pliers in the the whole wide world....? Got that done yet?... Thanks. Tom.

Hi Tom,

In my opinion, in order.

1) My Fingers

2) Midge sized English Hackle pliers, the ones with oval tips

3) Pamona minigrabber test clips

Cheers, Futzer.

I have a pair of Tiemco hackle pliers with the little rubber jaw piece on one side. Don't like them as much as my plain old English ones. They never slip.

1. Fingers

2. C&F - soon will exceed my fingers its awesome

3. electrical lead clip

Futzer, I'm shocked that you're not into the c&f pliers, have you tried them?

I agree with fingers first. On very small flies I use a small bulldog clamp.

813132-30-50,813142-30-50_150.jpg

Thanks Guys, I don't know about the bulldog ones, Pamona?, C&F,Electrical Clip,English Pliars, [i'm feeling dumb]; All Greek to me. oooh yaa,fingers, yep, I know about them,,still,,I need to get several good ones. I'll be checking into the above. Futzer, Dog, Bruce, are the electricals the ones with the little pushbutton on base and tiny hook on top? And Mike, where do I get the English pliers you mentioned? I would like to have all of the above so please clue me in. Jani that clip looks interesting, looks like a gadget,man I like gadgets.

And Mike, where do I get the English pliers you mentioned?

Tom, you can get them at any good tying shop. If you shop mail-order, J. Stockard carries them. Kaufmann Streamborn.

As far as the CF's, I've got one on order. Set me back $40, but from what I hear, they are worth it (weighted brass finger loops, tapered nose...).

The sponsor of this site has some pliers; (pretty reasonable price too); click on the underlined words below they are links

Here is the electrical clip types : Electical clip type hackle pliers

Here are the english pliers English plier types that futzer described

Stockard doesn't seem to carry anything from c&f, but this link will take you to orvis C&F hackle pliers

I have all three of these and a few more, I use all three of these plus my fingers all depending on the fly. good luck, its taken me 15 years to get together a set of tools that I'm 100% happy with after playing around and buying many.

Hello Dog&Ark Mike,, thanks for the comeback on the pliers,,I'll be looking into those yall mentioned. Tom. and thanks Jani for the photo.