Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Arkansas Mike

Minor Disaster At The Vise Today

Anyone ever drop a spool of "brassie" size Ultra Wire and have it explode off the spool in coils as it rolls under the bench and across the floor? :shocking:

Jeez!!! I'm sure you guys that's been at it a while have had it happen countless times. It was like a backlash on a bait casting reel. Twisted and knotted... The other sizes don't seem to be under that much tension. Stupid wire.

More times than I care to remember. Take the hour to cleanly unspool it, then use a power screwdriver, a small long screw, a nut and two washers to make a respooler. Wind it up nice. take a folded rubber band about the diameter of the spool, make a figure 8 around the tag wire end, pull the rubber band around the spool and make another figure 8 on the tag end, now it won't do that again until the rubber band fails. :-)

Cheers, Jeff.

My tinsel looks like my cat played with it. But, as much as he is to blame for other flybench incidents, the tinsel is all my fault. These little mishaps keep tying exciting!

About of 1/4 of my wire spools look burst. What a P.I.A!!! Good thing for me my wife is a sweetheart and as long as I leave her alone for a while <_< she has respooled quite a few of them. Dam I love my wife

I still think I missed a few. I use small rubber bands to hold the wire in place. See what happens when you drop a hundred glass beads on the floor when your tying up brassies, or you drop a few tiny hooks on the floor. :bugeyes: Never did find all the beads and hooks.

I still think I missed a few. I use small rubber bands to hold the wire in place. See what happens when you drop a hundred glass beads on the floor when your tying up brassies, or you drop a few tiny hooks on the floor. :bugeyes: Never did find all the beads and hooks.

Hi Rich, for hooks a stong magnet, even in shag carpet, you can find them and hemo them out. As for beads, take a shop vac and put a nylon stocking loosely over the hose end and secure with a strong rubberband, or tape, or even just hold it tight with your hands, and vacuum the spill zone, the stocking will hold the missing beads.

Cheers, Jeff.

Hi Rich, for hooks a stong magnet, even in shag carpet, you can find them and hemo them out. As for beads, take a shop vac and put a nylon stocking loosely over the hose end and secure with a strong rubberband, or tape, or even just hold it tight with your hands, and vacuum the spill zone, the stocking will hold the missing beads.

Cheers, Jeff.

Futzer,

The vacuum hose idea is brilliant. I still have beads on my floor in my tying room. To lazy to pick a couple hundred micro beads up.

Thanks

Rob

Anyone ever drop a spool of "brassie" size Ultra Wire and have it explode off the spool in coils as it rolls under the bench and across the floor?

Been there, done that. Too often to remember, that's my story and I'll stick to it. <_<

Cheers, Jeff.

I use a magnet before I use the shop vac. I try to keep my shop vacuum relatively empty, so after I vacuum, I open it up and run the magnet along the bottom and around the filter. I'm always surprised at how many beads and hooks I find, when I was certain I hadn't dropped any. Got me some rubber bands for the wire spools until I can make me something else. Like the stocking idea.

Hooks are easy to find, just go barefoot and if they are really tiny hooks have your wife come in barefoot... you will find them real quick... I promise this is a proven method ;)