Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Threshershark

BrookieFest

Great pictures of some nice fish from a really great place. Hope to get back there soon.

Hey Thresher, if you don't mind sharing, how'd you take those shots of the brookies in the water? EXIF info?

Hey Thresher, if you don't mind sharing, how'd you take those shots of the brookies in the water? EXIF info?

The hard part of photographing the free-swimmers is picking a location. If you can find an overhang or similar location where the fish don't mind your presence, and at an angle without too much glare, you're in business.

With a hooked fish, it's all about learning your camera's controls 1-handed. I can change my settings while looking through the viewfinder with one hand, in order to compose the image I want prior to releasing the fish.

For these shots I was at very close range. I used my "secret weapon" on them: The Nikon 35mm f/2. Depending on lighting conditions, I shot anywhere from f/4 to f/11, with shutter speeds of at least 1/250.

Love the second photo! That combination of reel, backing and line has to be one of coolest I've ever seen. What line comes in that blue color?

Love the second photo! That combination of reel, backing and line has to be one of coolest I've ever seen. What line comes in that blue color?

Thanks Vito! That Spoke is eye catching, I've been beset with e-mails and messages from people asking who makes that reel. The line is a Scientific Anglers Uniform Sink, Type II. Really nice line for fishing subsurface emergers.