Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
carlp5351

Hank Roberts woven body nymph

I need the old timers help. I have googled this with no luck. There is a fly pattern I'm looking for. This is a real effective pattern for the Lake City area, just south of Gunnison CO. I'm looking for a woven body nymph designed by Hank Roberts.

carlp

Hi Carl, Hank Roberts used an overhand weave or a Pott's weave on his nymphs. Those two techniques are demonstrated in The Flytier's benchside reference. And down Gunnison way, black stone flies are some of my favorites. Mostly in that area I have fished the Black Canyon.

Cheers, Futzer.

When I lived in Colorado (long enough ago to qualify as an Old Timer), I used to buy his woven nymphs. I still have two (or I should say, I have two woven nymphs I think are his, as I don't remember ever buying any other woven nymphs). The weaving is the same as shown on this tutorial (the fly pattern is different, but the weaving is the same) http://flyguysoutfitting.com/wovenpolishnymph.html. Of the two nymphs I have, one is kind of a mahogany colored back and a cream belly, and the other has a brown back and tan belly. It looks like they are woven from rayon floss. On both, the thorax is longer than you would expect, probably 2/3 of the shank length, and is built up quite a bit compared to the rear 1/3 of the fly. Both have a tail of ginger hackle barbs and a fairly closely clipped ginger hackle the rear 1/3 of the fly to form gills. Both also have what looks like a couple turns of grizzly hackle, very closely clipped on top, just behind the head.

I did catch a bunch of fish on his nymphs, but then I moved away from Colorado, discovered gold ribbed hare's ears, and then beadheads, and stopped fishing his flies, which is the only reason I have them.

When I lived in Colorado (long enough ago to qualify as an Old Timer), I used to buy his woven nymphs. I still have two (or I should say, I have two woven nymphs I think are his, as I don't remember ever buying any other woven nymphs)

Is there any way I can talk you into taking a couple of pictures of those flies. I want to thank everyone for all of there responses.

carlp

post-18775-1249445712.jpgHere is a Hank Roberts natural Helgramite !!! Brings back good memories. My Great Uncle Homer Pennock & Hank were good fishing buddies (and well known around Boulder , Colorado in the fly fishing circles) Both my uncle & Hank lived on Walnut. Grew up around both and fly fishing the front range around Boulder as a little boy !!!!

Good Gosh Hank's weaved flies & even his spun Deer hair patterns (how many of Hanks Deer Hopper patterns I fished) were always a work of art (and deadly on the water too; Not too many patterns ya could hook a wiley & finnecky Greenback Cutthroat with; especially on Lefthand Creek and that beaver pool I started on).

I kept in touch with him some even after he moved to Lake City & I was living in Alamosa. The last time I had talked to him, he showed me a nymph/streamer leader he had invented (talk about superior !!!). After I got into Grad School in Greeley then moved to Arizona, I lost touch, then heard he had died. I still use a lot of his style in some of my patterns.

It was nice to know such a great person when you are a little tyke just starting out, and I have been blessed to be friends with many other greats that have taken me under their wing. Thanks for bringing back a nice memory !!!

Hank was a legend (still is) and will always be in my mind. Wish I had all those flies I had as a kid (even along with those classic Bergman wets); fished them all. Frankly, I wish I had all his recipes; only have memory of a few of his techniques to tying) You never know as a kid you have legend in your hands.

That is why, what patterns I have of some of the many greats I know, I hold on to (don't fish them.....no way) !!!!

Here is an update, with the help of some of the forum members and the help of one of my local fly shop owners. I have found Hank Roberts woven body nymph. Here are some pic's. I'm still not very happy with the heads on these flies. The pattern is coming around.

post-4259-1250435073_thumb.jpgpost-4259-1250435096_thumb.jpg

post-4259-1250435120_thumb.jpgpost-4259-1250435140_thumb.jpg

post-4259-1250435162_thumb.jpg

The weave is very good Carl. What size and type of tying thread are you using. It looks like UTC 140 denier from the photo, try a smaller diameter like UTC 70 denier or Uni 8/0. That will gain you more wraps for the same space, and help cover the head whiskers up.

Cheers, Futzer.

The weave is very good Carl. What size and type of tying thread are you using. It looks like UTC 140 denier from the photo, try a smaller diameter like UTC 70 denier or Uni 8/0. That will gain you more wraps for the same space, and help cover the head whiskers up.

Cheers, Futzer.

Futzer,

I'm using Danville 6/0 thread, I very rarely using anything bigger.

carl

Try some 8/0, I think you will like it, the 6/0 danville is fine and I am sure after you have tied a few more you will be satisfied.

Cheers, Jeff.

I love the look of woven body flies. I really like this last one, Carl.

Don't know if you're interested, but as Jeff mentioned The Flytier's Benchside Reference

has detailed step-by-step instructions on how to tie 10 or more weaves, including the Pott's

weave. Potts used horsehair.

Mike