Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

How do you thread your bobbin?

Boobin threading.  

442 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ARKANSAS MIKE SUCKS!

Mike

At least your honest, i'm still in denial <_< Acually I tried out this sucking thing--and--are you ready for it--

It works super good. So I guess I suck too <_<

True Jeff, I have not used 14/0 or smaller--perhaps that is why I don't have a bobbin threader..... :D

ARKANSAS MIKE SUCKS!

Mike

At least your honest, i'm still in denial <_< Acually I tried out this sucking thing--and--are you ready for it--

It works super good. So I guess I suck too <_<

True Jeff, I have not used 14/0 or smaller--perhaps that is why I don't have a bobbin threader..... :D

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

P.S Jeff I have a question. I only have one spool of thread that uses the aught sizing method (6/0). But the rest of the thread that I own is sized as follows:

70, 120, 240, Just wondering what the difference is.

thanks,

gage

The 70, 120, and 240 are the denier. The 6/0 is the size.

As in, a spool of Danville 6/0 is 70 deneir....and I believe the 3/0 is 140.

Hi Gage, The aught system in not a standard, so Uni's 9/0 might be a different diameter vs Danvilles. I tie with a lot of Uni, so approx. 70 D = 8/0 120= 7/0 240 D= 6/0 to 5/0, strictly my opinion.

Cheers, Jeff.

And I was just teasing Jan.

Hi Gage, The aught system in not a standard, so Uni's 9/0 might be a different diameter vs Danvilles. I tie with a lot of Uni, so approx. 70 D = 8/0 120= 7/0 240 D= 6/0 to 5/0, strictly my opinion.

Cheers, Jeff.

And I was just teasing Jan.

Thanks for clarifying that Futzer! I get all my thread from Gander Mountain, and all they carry is UNI.

Thanks again,

gage

since we are on the topic of bobbins, like many more experienced tiers, I have many bobbins ( ten or more) and every once in a great while, take a pipr cleaner and pull it through the tube a few strokes...you may be amazed at the "nastiness" that comes out. Some of it is just thread/floss dust, some of it may be wax residue, but if you're tying a great deal, it will definitely (eventually) affect the usefulness of your bobbin. I have one retired bobbin that I actually wore a small groove in the tip of the tube. Tried to dremel it smooth, but for $3 bucks or less, what's the point?

So I'm the only one that uses a threader? I essentially use a traditional threader, but, being the cheapskate that I am, I made my own out of SS leader wire and glued it in a dowel. I honestly had never even thought to suck it through, if I couldn't find my threader I just ran it through by hand. But since I use brown thread on about 80% of my flies anyway (just seems like the most natural color) I rarely have to change spools and re-thread.

being a self proclaimed "cheapskate", you may enjoy this...I suded to buy only black and white thread. You can color white thread with a marker and make your thread any color you want. Great way for young tiers who can't always get to thier local fly shops without Mom or Dad's car to always have the thread they need/desire! O know professional production tiers that always use only white thread for thier own personal flies just for this reason...they can custom color the white thread as they desire.

Not sure where the gunk comes from... maybe waxes from the thread. It usually builds up a little bit where the thread enters the bobbin. Takes some time but it'll happen eventually from what i've noticed.

The 70, 120, and 240 are the denier. The 6/0 is the size.

As in, a spool of Danville 6/0 is 70 deneir....and I believe the 3/0 is 140.

Like Jan said the aught system in not a standard. For instance, according to J. Stockard, Danville's 6/0 Flymaster is measured just under 80 denier, while Uni-Thread 6/0 measures at 135 denier. Hopefully everyone will switch over to the denier system, which is a textile industry standard defined as a unit of fineness for silk, nylon, or rayon based on a standard of 50 milligrams per 450 meters of material (1 gram per 9,000 meters of yarn). Not that I fully understand all that, but if everyone used this standard, we'd all know that a Uni 140 denier thread is twice as heavy as say, a Danville 70 denier thread.

I have one retired bobbin that I actually wore a small groove in the tip of the tube.

Was that a steel tubed bobbin, BigDaddy, or ceramic? I'll have to try the pipe cleaner on my Tiemco bobbin. If I break

it, you have to buy me a new one, okay? :j_k: Just Kidding.

Mike

it was ceramic tipped.....took a lot of years and years to wear that grove! LOL

No bobbin has the same exact diameter of another, Mike, se be sure not to force the pipe cleaner into the tube or you may get it stuck. The craft style pipe cleaners popular for kids' crafts work great due to the stiffer wire cores, but you may have to take your scissors and trim the fibers off of one side to get a snug fit. Again, DO NOT force the cleaner into the tube. Have had them get stuck and was almost impossible to get it out. Finally used needle nosed pliers and pulled it free.

I use mostly uni 6/0 and 8/0 on all my flies. Every now and then the thread comes out of the bobbin a little frayed. I don't know if it's the thread or somthing in the bobbin. Is there a way to check the inside of the bobbin? They are all ceramic tipped.

Jeremy

I personally suck my thread through the tube. I have found that if I use my bobbin threader it will scratch the inside of the tube.

my 2 cents

Dito. ;)

I use mostly uni 6/0 and 8/0 on all my flies. Every now and then the thread comes out of the bobbin a little frayed. I don't know if it's the thread or somthing in the bobbin. Is there a way to check the inside of the bobbin? They are all ceramic tipped.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy I have nicked ceramic tubes, 3 of them. It took thousands of flies to do this, esp. if you use kevlar thread. Try cleaning it with a pipe cleaner, or I also heat up some boiling water and just dip the ceramic into it for a few seconds then shake it out in the sink. Don't run cold water on the hot ceramic, it might crack. Watch for hot goop in tiny bits. More than likely it will need replacement. I have not nicked a C&F bobbin yet.

Cheers, Futzer.