Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

How do you thread your bobbin?

Boobin threading.  

442 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started out with a threader, but quickly got tired of looking for the dumb thing and then trying to finagle everything together. Now, I suck.

Don't get rid of that bobbin threader. First, it is a great way to tie a nail knot between your line and backing or wherever you put it. I also fish 'conventional' gear and occasionally like to snell my hooks (spinner rigs). I'll often do it by hand, but a threader works good for that too.

Deeky

being a self proclaimed "cheapskate", you may enjoy this...I suded to buy only black and white thread. You can color white thread with a marker and make your thread any color you want. Great way for young tiers who can't always get to thier local fly shops without Mom or Dad's car to always have the thread they need/desire! O know professional production tiers that always use only white thread for thier own personal flies just for this reason...they can custom color the white thread as they desire.

Thats a great idea! Thank you! :D

P.S Thanks for posting everyone! :D

gage

Im a sucker....... for ever buying a threader. Although I like the idea of using it to snell. (now that I have to start snelling meat whistles, Futzer!) I use the threader and the floss things to pull legs through foam bugs!. Heat the bodkin, push through foam, push through threader or floss thing, insert rubber legs into threader and slowly pull through the foam.

And whatever is on my bobbin is much cleaner than many of things that end up in my mouth or teeth. I guess now none of you want to kiss me. :P

I normally use a dental floss threader, but My desk gets so frickin messy that I end up suckin the thread most of the time. At my first tying class our instructor, Ben Byng, an awesome and amazing tyer out here on the west coast, gave me the what for when I brought out my wire bobbin threader! He advised me that a wire threader had the ability to put micro burrs on the inside of a metal tube that would fray the thread, and then proceeded to dole out a bunch or those dental floss threaders to everyone in the class. I've never used my wire threader since! Anybody wanna buy one? I'll sell mine ultra cheap!

Im a sucker....... for ever buying a threader. Although I like the idea of using it to snell. (now that I have to start snelling meat whistles, Futzer!) I use the threader and the floss things to pull legs through foam bugs!. Heat the bodkin, push through foam, push through threader or floss thing, insert rubber legs into threader and slowly pull through the foam.

And whatever is on my bobbin is much cleaner than many of things that end up in my mouth or teeth. I guess now none of you want to kiss me. :P

I don't put that much effort into it, Ridley. I just use a large eye sewing needle, thread the rubber legging thru it, and pushit through the body with a pair of pliers.....helps eliminate the need to run holes with a hot needle then thread. Now, this is great for soft foam bodies, but if you're using hard polymer foam bodies like with Wapsi's Perfect Popper bodies, then, yes, you still have to burn the holes and then thread.

Freak, you're right about the micro knicks...have had that happen with an older bobbin that was my Grandads

Paid for a threader, promptly lost it while using it in what I'm sure was a non-threading application, and went back to sucking it through.

Bobbin threaders kind of reminds me of some of the stuff my wife gets through Pampered Chef--too convenient for its own good. I'm looking at YOU, $20 cheese cutter that I ignore in favor of whichever knife is closest to my hand!

I suck it through. I do have a couple of these plastic dental threaders somewhere in the tool stand, but by the time I've found one of them I will have wasted time enough to thread 10 bobbins... so I never bother to look anymore.

I use a threader, never know who handled the thread before you !! I have store bought and have made my own over the years.. bateria builds up after you suck it through I bet...ugh !!!!

I use a threader, never know who handled the thread before you !! I have store bought and have made my own over the years.. bateria builds up after you suck it through I bet...ugh !!!!

Bro I work with S**T. Litterely. I work in a sewerage treatment plant. 5th largest in the country. I wish my own spit bacteria was the only bacteria I dealt with. If you or a hospital or morge or jail or crackhouse sends it down the drain or toilet I SEE IT.

Jeremy

Bacteria from a bobbin is the least of my worries! We all know I'm not as paranoid as the people who are after me think I am! Germs? Dude I operate on the 1 minute rule. If it's on the ground more than a minute, it's fair game!!!!!!! YUMMY!

Bacteria from a bobbin is the least of my worries! We all know I'm not as paranoid as the people who are after me think I am! Germs? Dude I operate on the 1 minute rule. If it's on the ground more than a minute, it's fair game!!!!!!! YUMMY!

Hahaa. lol! :rockon: