Fly Tying
smalltownfisherman

How do you thread your bobbin?

Boobin threading.  

442 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.

I prefer do use my weather, seasoned, callused man hands! :headbang:

Blake, are you old enough to have weather seasoned man hands? :rolleyes: Jeff.

FYI on waxy gunk build up, put them in a collander over a steaming pot of water for about 5-10 minutes, close to the water but not in it. Then using a potholder or glove to hold it, run a fine pipe cleaner or quadruple folded over cotton thread through the tube a few times. The gunk comes out easily.

Cheers, Futzer.

I prefer do use my weather, seasoned, callused man hands! :headbang:

Blake, are you old enough to have weather seasoned man hands? :rolleyes: Jeff.

Old enough thank you very much!

I use conventional threaders, the dental floss type, and suck the thread through, depending on which bobbin I have and what I'm threading it with.

Practictly everyone sucks. And they also suck the thread thru the bobbin :hyst: :whistle: :whistle:

Sorry, bad joke.

I think you've got a point there :hyst:

Myself I use dental floss threaders. For my C&F bobbin I use the included C&F threader.

Guest Big E

I just use the threader. I can't suck very well as I always seem to slober the tube up.

See i knew it :bugeyes: we all are just a bunch of suckers :yahoo:

Hi my names Marc (hi marc)I am a sucker.(o its ok we are all suckers on the inside).

:headbang:

I have to admit, I had always used a bobbin threader for this job. Then last night, I was tying, and in the mess known as my desk I lost track of my threader. I sucked, and learned an important bobbin sucking lesson: don't have too much thread out, it feels a little weird in the throat. :blink:

I personally suck my thread through the tube. I have found that if I use my bobbin threader it will scratch the inside of the tube.

my 2 cents

gage

You guys Suck! :yahoo:

I personally suck my thread through the tube. I have found that if I use my bobbin threader it will scratch the inside of the tube.

Tried looking inside the tube for scratches, how do you do it? you must have great eyes. I take my hat off to you. Used a threader for 15 years on my tubes and no damage or nicks that I can see. There was a time way back in the sixties where a popular method was to thread a Needle and drop it through the tube. works well but only if you can thread a needle :) .

Tried looking inside the tube for scratches, how do you do it? you must have great eyes. I take my hat off to you. Used a threader for 15 years on my tubes and no damage or nicks that I can see. There was a time way back in the sixties where a popular method was to thread a Needle and drop it through the tube. works well but only if you can thread a needle :) .

I didn't look inside the tube,

I have very cheap bobbins and I figured it out when my thread started fraying a lot.