Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rimfire

Gurgle Pop and variations

So far in my short tying career the GP in a few variations is my favorite fly. Easy to tie and have caught lots of fish. I tie it with a 2x long 6 or 8 dry fly hook and marabou or rubber tail. I also like leaving the legs out of the bottom level foam and tying them into the top so they lay flatter and I think move better. Anyone try them with more segments or longer to take the place of a hopper. That is my next try. Who ties bigger ones and can advise specific hooks and width of foam? Would love to see variations.

Thanks.

Barry

I think the largest Gurgle I've tied was on a #4 2x hook.

I normally make the foam width as wide as the hook gap .... kinda of a rule of thumb I picked up somewhere. I used some boa yarn once, twisted it tightly in a spiral, and used it like a hackle and wrapped it across the segments to give some movement underneath. Got a few hits with it. One thing I've learned fly tying is let your imagination run wild sometimes :)

Mike

Nobody has any other suggestions for modifying or lengthening? Bummer. Maybe I just need to be more patient...not my strong point!

Hi Barry;

I normally tie mine on a 2x size 10 dry fly hook, red congo hair for tail and abdomen, yellow foam hook gap width, with yellow baby bug wrap for legs in normal location. I use red flat waxed nylon to tie pattern. I think the flat waxed nylon holds the foam better without tearing it.

I've also tied this in pink with black congo hair tail & abdomen, pink baby bug wrap leags and pink flat waxed nylon.

Both patterns work well for panfish with the yellow & red being a little more successful.

I plan on trying a larger version for bass, using a mustad size 6 3366 hook, white tail & abdomen, black legs and green foam. Still thinking out the thread color. I Aaso plan on making foam 1 1/2 times the hook gap width. I'm attempting a frog like pattern.

Wayne

Actually, and meaning no disrespect to former posters, the best place for step by step of the gurgler is the man himself.

http://www.jackgartside.com/

Easily one of the best surface flies (including all its variations, gurgle pop, etc.) to ever come out of a vise. It will catch anything that swims if the species feeds surface along with multiple presentation characteristics with the same fly (on the surface). eg. fold the lip back and it's a slider. Or sink tip/head it and it's a sub-surface wobbler, just a lot of on the water variations with this fly.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of Gartside patterns! Sparrow anyone? They have caught me a lot of fish!

Thanks Jack!

Actually, and meaning no disrespect to former posters, the best place for step by step of the gurgler is the man himself.

http://www.jackgartside.com/

Easily one of the best surface flies (including all its variations, gurgle pop, etc.) to ever come out of a vise. It will catch anything that swims if the species feeds surface along with multiple presentation characteristics with the same fly (on the surface). eg. fold the lip back and it's a slider. Or sink tip/head it and it's a sub-surface wobbler, just a lot of on the water variations with this fly.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of Gartside patterns! Sparrow anyone? They have caught me a lot of fish!

Thanks Jack!

Hi Jack

I would have to say that is a great site with alot of diffrent types of gurgle pops.

I am glad you posted it because it has given me alot of ideas for flies..

Chance