Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Indian Creek Stone

This thing is a pattern I kind of doodled up today, named it after a small stream in Idaho called Indian.

I think it would work well there. I'm going to put more info on my blog when I get around to it.

Jan

Good 'un, Jan. Looks a lot like the Kaufmann Stones I tie. I add two biots

at the eye for antennae, but they usually don't last long and get bent and

broken off, so... I got to check out your blog.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I really didn't mean to base it on any particular pattern, but there are no new things under the sun right?

The antennea sounds like a good idea, I should start putting them on my stones.

Jan

Thanks Mike, I really didn't mean to base it on any particular pattern, but there are no new things under the sun right?

The antennea sounds like a good idea, I should start putting them on my stones.

Jan

Nope...nothing that hasn't been done before, probably. I'm always thinking I'm coming up with something new, only to find

out I haven't. It's new to us...that's all that matters. As far as adding antennae, I think it looks good without it.

I wouldn't change a thing. :thumbsup:

Mike

Alright, thanks alot Mike.

Jan

Oh and by the way, I'll toss one or two of these in your swap flies so you can try them out.

Wow Jan I really like that fly and you seem to be moving in leaps and bounds with your tying and creativity. This fly (as is) will replicate plenty of nymphs and even a grammon/black caddis.

Sweet! :thumbup: keep um comin!

Great tie!

Steelies love black stones!

Goin up to the Salmon River at the end of the month for the remaining Skamania runners.

Thanks for the inspiration. Gotta tie some up now.

:flex:

Jan that looks great. Your photography is also improving, great shot.

Kudos Jan! Wonderful little pattern and beautifully photographed as well. I am enjoying watching your skills grow with each post. Keep them coming.

Hello Jan, great bug, very well proportioned. If I may add a tip or two. Stoneflies are my favorite bug, when trout are on them, the largest fish are out too. They are terrible swimmers; in fact they can't swim at all. They tumble around like a kitten that fell off the table; legs are spread out and flipping all over the place. Also stones are not heavy in the water; so once they are caught in the current, they fumble a long time and really barely sink back down. Lastly their abdomen is quite flat for crawling under rocks in fast currents. That said. I would tie some with long flexible black rubber legs, even just an X of legs, as long as 1.5 times the fly length and let that flip all around. Next use little weight and no lead in the fly, if you can keep it fumbling in the bottom foot of water, that is a key zone. lastly for the wing case and abd. I would use black or mottle black raffia or Swiss straw, or thin leather and tie it in back facing at the start of the abd. dubbing, then dub in the abd. hair, then fold the wing case over and tie it off in the head. Last give it a good pinch to flatten it. And pick out the hair to the sides. Antennas are optional, for me they are not a big enough trigger of movement and they get wrapped up in your tippet.

My favorite target to fish this is a tandem of lead stone and tiny brassie, or crystal flash midge about 12 inches back. I find a fast ripple of at least 18 inches depth that runs into a pool, I position in the ripple and cast into the faster part of the current. up stream enough so the stone has sunk near the bottom, but not right on the bottom either. Use a short line nymphing technique. As the flies drift into the slower pool keep it low, and lift the bugs up slowly. You will not have as many hits on the swing as a caddis, but you will get hits in the fast water and right as the slower pool starts. The swing does make for a I dare you, one last chance hit.

That is my opinion, but your bug is very well tied.

Cheers, Jeff.