Fly Tying
Esutton

Best Book for showing actual insect with recommended fly

I am wanting to find a book or guide that shows an actual mayfly picture (or other insect), with a corresponding picture of a suggested fly. Possibly a book that has an actual insect on one page and a fly(s) on an opposite page, etc. I would welcome any comments or ideas. Thanks.

-George

I've been pleased with the "Hatch Guide for..." series by various authors. It does a great job for hatches out here in the West, maybe the Hatch Guide for New England Streams would do well for your location.

Orange Caddis

I've been pleased with the "Hatch Guide for..." series by various authors. It does a great job for hatches out here in the West, maybe the Hatch Guide for New England Streams would do well for your location.

Orange Caddis

Thanks for the quick reply! I have wondered about the Hatch Guide for NE Streams, but I can't view what I wish to see under amazon.com. I may order it anyway. Thanks!

Orange Caddis

Orange,

I was FINALLY able to display what I hoped for in Amazon, and I do believe that book you suggested is great for my needs. Showed a BWO Spinner on one page and some flies on the opposite. Thanks!

Mayflies by Ted Fauceglia is the best I've ever seen, I'm not positive about the spelling but it's a great book. I'll see if I can find a link.

Okay, so Hatch Guide for New Englands Streams is extremely helpful and probably what you are looking for. One more to consider is The Complete Guide To Eastern Hatches by Tom Fuller. Fullers book has pictures by Thomas Ames, Jr. who gets the best pics of insects that I have seen. The nice thing about this book is it lists the flies to use and gives you the recipes in the back. Now if you don't want to tie them, just search the names out on the computer to get the picture or the place to buy them........

Okay, so Hatch Guide for New Englands Streams is extremely helpful and probably what you are looking for. One more to consider is The Complete Guide To Eastern Hatches by Tom Fuller. Fullers book has pictures by Thomas Ames, Jr. who gets the best pics of insects that I have seen. The nice thing about this book is it lists the flies to use and gives you the recipes in the back. Now if you don't want to tie them, just search the names out on the computer to get the picture or the place to buy them........

Thanks for the title and recommendation. A quick look on the internet indicates this is a great book for my reference. Thanks!

Good Day,

I made my own. I took a book of patterns, in this case the emergence schedule for Michigan by the Challenge Chapter of TU, and have supplemented it with photos of the actual bugs.

Steelie

There are a few I would Get.

Hatch Guide for lakes (Schollmeyer)

Hatch Guide for rivers (Schollmeyer)

Or the latest book I wrote called "The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide" You can find it on my Website

Rick Passek

Good Day,

I made my own. I took a book of patterns, in this case the emergence schedule for Michigan by the Challenge Chapter of TU, and have supplemented it with photos of the actual bugs.

Steelie

Thanks for the idea. I will have to look into this as well.

Or the latest book I wrote called "The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide" You can find it on my Website

Rick Passek

Rick, is there a way to preview your latest book (like amazon as an example)? It sure looks like what I am looking for. Thanks for the post.

Rick Passek

Rick, is there a way to preview your latest book (like amazon as an example)? It sure looks like what I am looking for. Thanks for the post.

I was looking for the same thing about 4 years ago, and told myself that someday when I had the time/resources, that I'd write such a book; cause you're right, there isn't one out there. I actually started writing it, and realized that if I did it the way I wanted to do it, it would never be published as the costs would be too high for both the publisher and the reader.

So for the past few months, I've been building a website that focuses on the stuff fish eat, and how to imitate it; except it will go a lot further than just insects, and focus on pretty much everything fish (both fresh and saltwater) eat- then it'll have every type/style of imitation for that particular critter- and how to tie that style of fly. Best part is I have a way to show all this stuff without cluttering things up.

I had about 400 bugs/baitfish pages up, and was just about ready to let it go live, but lost all of it 2 weeks ago when I was messing around with my database(lesson learned= back stuff up before you find out what that cool looking button does :wallbash: ).

Since I already know where I'm going with it, and how everything will be laid out, etc. I'm going to let it go live in the next week or so, and use RSS/Facebook/Twitter to let people know when new insects/baitfish/etc. are added to the site.

Here is the link for anyone who is interested

etflogo.jpg