Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

Propellor Flies?

Nice, denduke.   I've never tied any with the spinner hanging off the back.  I'm still messing with the Road Runner imitation.  Now that I finally have a actual Road Runner to use as a model, it looks likes like the second batch I worked up is closer to the real thing.  I just ordered a pair of split ring pliers that will handle the smaller split rings I'm using for them.  I'll finish them up when I get the pliers, hopefully by the end of the week.

The Sonic Boom Fly is another pattern that I hadn't heard of.  Definitely a Road Runner imitation.  I've got all the materials.  I may tie one up to see if it's easier to tie than the one I'm playing with.  I like the two color idea.

The bassing guys are doing similar things with worm hooks.  Prolly something like them already around. I ve seen em on here. Pretty easy to tie in the wire so the swivel is right at the hook bend.  You can’t over dress them or it will kill the flow that makes the spinners work.   Surprisingly they don’t twist, even the ones w/o lead eyes.  The 3/8 jigs no twist for sure.  I made mine for red fish in the marsh down here.  They hit spinnerbaits well.   Just ain’t got a pic in ones mouth yet.  Haven’t tried on bass yet.  The larger blades actually work better than smaller ones.   Fly flinging no problem.  Just gotta long strip then pause/drop as you grab for the next one.  Really swing well in trout stream currents  too.   Have had stockers slam them.  Bringing some to Ak; might work better than high dollar Mepps.  Can’t believe where this topic is....hallowed ground in this joint...😂

FF36E6F6-9435-448A-9972-90CE65B096AF.png

F2A5E740-E931-47AB-8A0A-263C86DA59FE.jpeg

0EB5AC3F-07F6-4492-936D-42A4A56A86AE.png

May have to whip up a couple of them for my fishing buddies.  Not sure I have any of the jigs with the screw-in piece for the soft plastic.

16 hours ago, denduke said:

Spinner flies and spinner jigs.  Salmon ???Hide and watch.

E44A715F-7176-40BD-9CCF-C8E59A437824.png

EA2FAEA5-B392-4EBE-A6AD-F2FB324D3179.png

The Gapen tackle Co, had a whole line up of flies and jigs like that DD.I have a collection of odd flies,The Pflueger pippin was a fly rod spoon with with a little blade on the hook itself.Some were mother of pearl.The chin spin i think is great design for a swimming jig but not sure about as a fly.I am a fisherman and enjoy flyfishing mostly these days.Leaving for my annual crappie trip in a week.Will be using live bait and jigs for the most part.UL spin fishing and flyfishing is where the 2 methods intersect,i tie several flies and jigs that are basically the same except for weight.I have no desire to fish 15 feet deep with flies but i have.It is a PITA .

7 hours ago, jcozzz said:

he Pflueger pippin was a fly rod spoon with with a little blade on the hook itself.

Here I thought I was doing something original when I tried to make up some flutter spoons to use for shad fishing.  It seemed simple enough I  brought some small Willow hammered spinner blades in gold and silver, plus some painted ones in what I hoped were shad attracting colors.  All I did was super glue the hook in the hollow of the blade then cover it with 5 minute epoxy.  If I had thought it out I should have soldered the hook in which would have added more weight to the "fly"

I was going through one of my storage containers looking for some dumbbell eyes and stumbled across a bunch of jig spinners and a couple of Idaho single spinners.  Probably left over from my UL fishing days. If you're not familiar with them, jig spinners basically look like a spinner bait form and that you can attach a jig to creating a panfish size spinner bait and the Idaho single spinners use the same principle but creates a small in-line spinner.  Took a break from tying up some crayfish patterns and was able to make a small in-line spinner that can easily be cast with a fly rod.  I think it's too light for my UL rod.  A spinner bait is up next.  One further step over the line from "hallowed ground"

jcozz....Have caught boat loads of crappie down here over the years mostly vertical jigging with poles.   But one day needed to cast and swim the jig over brush and was hanging up every other cast.   Getting fish some just before hanging.  Brain storm!   Prolly other people even you have done this. But with swimmer tail grubs, skirted won’t work, I “TexasRigged” the grub to the jig.  Not the best for hook sets but worked enough for the problem.  Nowadays whole lotta different kinds of tails/grubs around.  Some lend themselves better for rigging like this.  Bottom line we swam them right through the brush tops with minimal hang ups.  TexasRiggedJigs....These aren’t the best examples but handy for pic...  Did Philly say spoons?  Leave tabs on each end when you cut outa glittered Easter egg, glue/Solarez, then dress/weed guards   They wobble nicely and don’t hit the back of the head hardly at all...  Need to carry these conversation in the WarmWater section.   Nobody to bother with this off the wall stuff.  Sorry  

Oh, putting blades on artistic classic Salmon flies in my opinion and to my surprise is like putting mud tires on a RollsRoyce😳😝

42690214-6B94-4658-B40D-0EC6F81FF63D.jpeg

364E0F64-2D41-4D7D-8A15-0056F9AD3A97.jpeg

462A44D0-551E-4287-9E0D-57B56598CC2E.jpeg

8AE8F2DF-D004-41FB-AF4F-168732818030.jpeg

76B997E0-B7D2-4376-8F84-82DB1C0B2AEB.png

10 hours ago, denduke said:

jcozz....Have caught boat loads of crappie down here over the years mostly vertical jigging with poles.   But one day needed to cast and swim the jig over brush and was hanging up every other cast.   Getting fish some just before hanging.  Brain storm!   Prolly other people even you have done this. But with swimmer tail grubs, skirted won’t work, I “TexasRigged” the grub to the jig.  Not the best for hook sets but worked enough for the problem.  Nowadays whole lotta different kinds of tails/grubs around.  Some lend themselves better for rigging like this.  Bottom line we swam them right through the brush tops with minimal hang ups.  TexasRiggedJigs....These aren’t the best examples but handy for pic...  Did Philly say spoons?  Leave tabs on each end when you cut outa glittered Easter egg, glue/Solarez, then dress/weed guards   They wobble nicely and don’t hit the back of the head hardly at all...  Need to carry these conversation in the WarmWater section.   Nobody to bother with this off the wall stuff.  Sorry  

Oh, putting blades on artistic classic Salmon flies in my opinion and to my surprise is like putting mud tires on a RollsRoyce😳😝

42690214-6B94-4658-B40D-0EC6F81FF63D.jpeg

364E0F64-2D41-4D7D-8A15-0056F9AD3A97.jpeg

462A44D0-551E-4287-9E0D-57B56598CC2E.jpeg

8AE8F2DF-D004-41FB-AF4F-168732818030.jpeg

76B997E0-B7D2-4376-8F84-82DB1C0B2AEB.png

There is no end to your creativity DD

12 hours ago, Philly said:

Here I thought I was doing something original when I tried to make up some flutter spoons to use for shad fishing.  It seemed simple enough I  brought some small Willow hammered spinner blades in gold and silver, plus some painted ones in what I hoped were shad attracting colors.  All I did was super glue the hook in the hollow of the blade then cover it with 5 minute epoxy.  If I had thought it out I should have soldered the hook in which would have added more weight to the "fly"

I was going through one of my storage containers looking for some dumbbell eyes and stumbled across a bunch of jig spinners and a couple of Idaho single spinners.  Probably left over from my UL fishing days. If you're not familiar with them, jig spinners basically look like a spinner bait form and that you can attach a jig to creating a panfish size spinner bait and the Idaho single spinners use the same principle but creates a small in-line spinner.  Took a break from tying up some crayfish patterns and was able to make a small in-line spinner that can easily be cast with a fly rod.  I think it's too light for my UL rod.  A spinner bait is up next.  One further step over the line from "hallowed ground"

We are all just building on what came before us.I just bought some "ice blades" and am thinking in the same line of thought,I am also going to punch holes on the ends and attach single dressed siwash hooks.The siwash hooks have a bigger eye than most sz12 hooks,Look up pflueger pippins,they had a way of mechanically attaching the hook.I will try to post a few pics if can dig them out.Fly rod spoons are nothing new and are still used,My local fly shop that closed in 08 had cards of Al's goldfish.The owner was a great fly tyer and person.I asked him about the spoons,he said customers wanted them and he could hardly keep them in stock.I have no problem adding scent or even tipping a bluegill bug with a little power bait waxie.The ice blades have have a little fold or groove to solder the hook in place.You can also add weight via lead tape.Can't wait to see what you come up with.

It's been stated many times, "There's nothing new under the sun."  Mostly true ... but pleasant surprises still show up from time to time.

I used Pistol Pete's for 20 years.  Not often, but they work very well.  Thanks for posting the Hardy propeller flies.

Denduke, if you are fishing out of your Rolls Royce, you will need mud tires on it down in Mississippi. 

6 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

need mud tires on it down in Mississippi. 

My tires on my gas motor golf cart/stump jumper😛

9AB3FA9B-CE31-4F2D-B044-8BAC09AAE09C.jpeg