Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
csearsdirk

PMX troubles

Hi Everyone. I am new to this forum. I am completely self taught and have learned most things by looking at online tutorials. I am trying to tie PMX patterns on a size 10 dry fly hook and am experiencing some difficulty.

1) I have a hair stacker. I don't understand how to use it so the hair is even at the ends. My stacker has an open insert at the top that fits into the bottom part, if that helps. Any quick advice on how to stack elk hair?

2) When I try to tie in the elk hair tail, it always slides to the side of the hook, away from me. Always. Tips?

3) When I try to tie in the elk hair wing, it does not stay put. Is this because I am using too much? Again, size 10 hook. I am using Uni-Thread, 8/0. Is this too fine of thread? Is it just a matter of practice?

Thanks,

c

With the hair stacker, put in whatever hair you want to stack, tips down, and tap the stacker several times on table or such. then carefully slide the top half of the stacker out of the bottom half. There will be your hair, all tips aligned.

I'ved never tied a PMX....but 8/0 could be a bit light. A matter of personal preference I suppose.

2) When I try to tie in the elk hair tail, it always slides to the side of the hook, away from me. Always. Tips?

Try the soft loop method:

1) Hold the material on the hook shank between your thumb and forefinger. Bring the bobbin straight up so that the thread is taught.

2) Pinch the thread between your thumb and forefinger. Form a loop with the thread and bring it down on the side of the hook oposite you. Keep tension on the thread.

3) Pull the bobin straight down slowly and keep tension on the thread and material with your thumb and forefinger.

4) Make a few more soft loops and then begin wrapping the thread normally.

If you can't get this to work for you, try moving the hair to the side of the hook closest to you and wrap the way you normally do, letting the thread slide the hair to the top of the hook.

Make sure you are not using to big of a clump of hair also. Bigger clumps have a tendency to spin when you do not wnat them to.

Rob

Make sure you have a good thread base when you tie it in. If you tie it onto the bare hook shank it will slip just about every time. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

In addition to everything else said: you might want to go with bigger thread like 6/0. Given the size of the hook and the size clumps you are likely using, you probably can't get enough pressure on the hair.. also that thin of thread has a good chance of cutting into the hair a bit.

The only thing I'll add is regarding the hair stacker - after you cut your hair from the hide and before you put it in the stacker, make sure you clean the underhair (the short curlies) from the longer hair that you want to use for the wing. Also, after you tap the stacker, lay the whole works on its side and pull the barrel from the base. The aligned tips should just protrude from the barrel for you to grab.

Deeky

Thanks again for the advice everyone. I have gotten fairly good at getting the tail and wing in the proper place. I have been getting much tighter wraps and that seems to do the trick. The soft loop method was money. (Thanks kyflytyer).

Now, after I tie in the hackle and peacock, and begin to wrap the peacock forward, my legs spin and are so off center. When I first tie them in, they are perfect, but they are not staying in place when I try to wrap the peacock forward. I am thinking I didn't tie them in tight enough in the beginning?

I have never had very good success with rubber legs for any patterns I have tried. I really like rubber legs and seldom fish any flies without them. I just want to know how to make them less cock-eyed.

THanks

7033_10100134078567354_8336269_58537454_2894097_n.jpg

7033_10100134077389714_8336269_58537376_4603034_n.jpg

7033_10100134078637214_8336269_58537466_5693798_n.jpg

The first 2 are the first one I tied. I for some reason whip finished one leg. Pretty ugly.

Any suggestions? For some reason, I can tie these much better if I don't pull the legs and wing back and get them out of the way with wire. When I do this, the legs get out of place when I wrap the peacock hurl.