Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nooner

Please critic my streamer

I would say that i am starting to get the basic of tying down but i still do not think i am very good yet compared to my friends or flies you buy in the shop, so all the advice i can get would be greatly appreciated.

I just made this fly up as i went and hopefully i can get to fish it tomorrow to see how it swims. let me know what you think and if it works good enough i will post more info on how i made the fly.

post-23489-1256540660_thumb.jpg

post-23489-1256540696_thumb.jpg

From a strictly practical point of view, I'm guessing you'll get a lot of short strikes on it.

Where is the marabou tied in?

A creative tie, nevertheless. Looks fishy.

yep that will be a short strike fly , try not to make your tail's to long. unless you are going to ty a "stinger" in the tail. the only other thing I can tell you is that the shape of the tail is made at an angle,get rid of the long point, the best way is to mke a point tail where the long point is at the center of the tail. But that's a great streamer keep working on it.

I would say that i am starting to get the basic of tying down but i still do not think i am very good yet compared to my friends or flies you buy in the shop, so all the advice i can get would be greatly appreciated.

I just made this fly up as i went and hopefully i can get to fish it tomorrow to see how it swims. let me know what you think and if it works good enough i will post more info on how i made the fly.

oh I'm not a bait fisherman, I don't know where in hell that came from. Honestly I thougt this was a site for fly tyer not worm pokers, strange stuff

Bait Fisherman - well thats what all new guys/gals are referred to on the site - don't take it personal, all of us who are on here started in the 'Bait Fisherman' category. The more times you post and the more time that you spend around - the quicker that will be removed from your title. Its one of Smalliehunters little jokes that he thinks is funny

yep that will be a short strike fly , try not to make your tail's to long. unless you are going to ty a "stinger" in the tail. the only other thing I can tell you is that the shape of the tail is made at an angle,get rid of the long point, the best way is to mke a point tail where the long point is at the center of the tail. But that's a great streamer keep working on it.

i actually put a stringer in the marabou or the tail, i took 3 strands of 20 lb amnesia leader and braided them together and braided the stinger hook in one end and tied on the marabou, then attached the other end to the front hook. what do you mean when you say the long point, you mean the longest part of the tail? because it is fairly centered but it gets clumped up on the table when i lay it flat for a picture.

thanks for the input.

thank's for telling me what's up with the bait thing, it had me confussed

Bait Fisherman - well thats what all new guys/gals are referred to on the site - don't take it personal, all of us who are on here started in the 'Bait Fisherman' category. The more times you post and the more time that you spend around - the quicker that will be removed from your title. Its one of Smalliehunters little jokes that he thinks is funny

A lot of forums have some sort of ranking based on number of postings.

Apparently, the belief is that if you have nothing better to do than post on-line, you must have more credibility. :rolleyes:

I suppose there is some value in it if you were plugging a product in first few posts.

cool some times pic's do lie. & here is a simple, quick,&eazy'r way for the stinger. get some "backing line" & some sort of tubular tying material. Cut lengh desired of the tubing then pull backing threw the tube, tie a overhand knot on both end's of the backing[the knot's will make sure that a fish won't pull the stinger out of your fly] make sure that the backing piece is longer than the tube. what cool about backing vs. mono is that most any backing line is 60-80lb. test & the backing line is not stiff like mono, the reason for covering the line with tubing is to prevent the stinger from swing'n around and hooking your leader and what not. I tie all my articulated flies in this manor. this is one of my little secrete's so use it well and never tell--- I hope you try this

i actually put a stringer in the marabou or the tail, i took 3 strands of 20 lb amnesia leader and braided them together and braided the stinger hook in one end and tied on the marabou, then attached the other end to the front hook. what do you mean when you say the long point, you mean the longest part of the tail? because it is fairly centered but it gets clumped up on the table when i lay it flat for a picture.

thanks for the input.

thanks a bunch. i will try this, what kind of tubing do you use that fits the backing?

cool some times pic's do lie. & here is a simple, quick,&eazy'r way for the stinger. get some "backing line" & some sort of tubular tying material. Cut lengh desired of the tubing then pull backing threw the tube, tie a overhand knot on both end's of the backing[the knot's will make sure that a fish won't pull the stinger out of your fly] make sure that the backing piece is longer than the tube. what cool about backing vs. mono is that most any backing line is 60-80lb. test & the backing line is not stiff like mono, the reason for covering the line with tubing is to prevent the stinger from swing'n around and hooking your leader and what not. I tie all my articulated flies in this manor. this is one of my little secrete's so use it well and never tell--- I hope you try this

hay I forrgot to tell you to tie a small porsion of thr tube in at the back of your lead hook

That is a great looking fly and I know the perfect fly fishing only bass lake to throw that at. These bass have gotten big by eating rainbows, no need to worry about short strikes there.

well if i ever perfect that fly i might make a post on how to tie it so you could throw it and catch a nice big bucket mouth haha

That is a great looking fly and I know the perfect fly fishing only bass lake to throw that at. These bass have gotten big by eating rainbows, no need to worry about short strikes there.

It's a cool looking fly. Some species may short strike it, but if it swims well should be a good bass fly. Bass try to attack the head, thats why texas rigging works for conventional guys. I have flies that catch bass with 4 inches of tail after the hook. Good job, keep working at it. Just remember that different fish like different profiles. Most bass like long skinny flies. Tie to the fish you want to catch and keep tying!

Very Cool! If you're a beginning tier then you're doing real well! I like the fly, good proportions & use of materials! I agree you won't get many short strikes if you're throwing it at bass!

Give it a good work out & see how it performs before making radical changes!

Very well done! :headbang: