Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
csearsdirk

Dubbing alternative?

Hi everyone. I am ordering some materials for a few flies and I can't figure out what to use for a rainbow warrior. The pattern I really like is on the Charlie's Flybox website. It calls for Wapsi SowScud Dubbing, Rainbow, but I can't find it on the website I am using, which is J. Stockard.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/de...fm?parentID=137

What else will work?

Thanks!

Hi everyone. I am ordering some materials for a few flies and I can't figure out what to use for a rainbow warrior. The pattern I really like is on the Charlie's Flybox website. It calls for Wapsi SowScud Dubbing, Rainbow, but I can't find it on the website I am using, which is J. Stockard.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/de...fm?parentID=137

What else will work?

Thanks!

Well, what your going for is a very light gray, cream or tan with tiny bits of other colors to give it a rainbow effect. The Wapsi dubbing is fairly translucient as well. Start with the lightest gray SLF, or gray Krystal dub. That should be close. The pattern at Charlie's uses Krystal flash for the abdomen, and that is only one way to tie the pattern. Try some with very thin dubbed abdomens with a rib of fine silver wire. I have made my own rainbow dubbing by blending bits of red, blue, green and orange antron yarn into gray rabbit. I use a coffee grinder to do this. I also make a similar blend with tan rabbit.

thin larvae lace or red tinsel, clear larvae with red tinsel underneath might look bugy