Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Worstcaster

Favorite Squirrel Tail

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My preference is for the red squirrel tail. I like the natural color of the tail and find it nicer to work with than the gray. Before anyone says it, yes I know the black is just a different color phase of the gray.

My preference is for the red squirrel tail.

So do you mean a FOX squierll?A true red in wv is allot smaller than the average gray squierrl.There's allot near my cam in randolph county.So you have true fox-a nice oarngish foxy suierrl.The great appalachian gray squierrl,that can be black ,though i've never seen.A red-a ferrydiddle as we call them.And the white fase.

Me i prefer the greys while hunting {more abundant) but a fox squierrl is nice.I voted for fox cause i like getting the hunting season.

shane

In western North Carolina there is a species of white squirrel that I would like to get hold of. :devil:

Im a student at Kent State University, where we have a unusually large population of Black Squirrels (as in, 10x as many as fox or normal greys) and ima try and "obtain" one...

Im sure they get run over from time to time.... :devil:

southern fox squirrels from Florida and Alabama (at least) look like giant gray sq. Up north they look like giant red sq. I'll take a few of each... :D

Red we have alot of them arround here. but have a few of the other tails aswell. I like them all lol but had to pick one.

Tough one to decide! I voted Fox, mainly because I just like the natural coloration, which fits a lot of the bass & saltwater flies I tie. I use them all, each has a place, but can't really say that I have a favorite to tie with. The only black I have is dyed gray squirrel, never used a natural black. I've seen both black & white color phases of gray squirrels, but never had the opportunity to tie with either. :)

I actually null voted because I couldn't vote for all of them. I have gray, red, and natural black. Depending on the pattern, one will be great and another will bring out the razor. A little different coloring in the fly and the preference flips.

So I shall be the obligatory fence rider and say all of them.

Deeky

fox,

i actually bought one but only God knows why. plenty of abundant roadkill around here. cant turn a street without seeing one flatened out.

camoham

I had to vote grey because thats what I can get easiest in the UK the others cost alot or are hard to get decent tails (mostly the second reason).