Fly Tying
5 weight

Is it my tying???

So i have only been tying for a few weeks and mostly wooly buggers. When i took my creations to the lake this morning and last week both times i have caught bass and not a trout to be seen? This time of year bass fishing is extremely slow here and the trout should be putting on the pounds for winter. I was fishing on a type 3 down deep just a slow troll from my u-boat. Does this have anything to do with my tying or am i just unlucky or maybe i should be thankful for catching anything. The bass today was 17" and fat so it isnt all bad. Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

dude it's just what fish your on top off, or the depth that your fishin' atleast your catching fish, to the bass, trout or whatever those wully bugger is a baitfish/leach food to eat

and or mabye the size ain't right for the trout

I'm sure your bugger was fine. Anything with with marabou just clumps together underwater anyways. Maybe it's where you're fishing. If you know where any springs are or any tributaries that flow into the lake i'd try seeking those places out. and hey, that's just fishing sometimes. I'd rather catch a 17" bass when trout fishing then 8" chubs.

its not your tying, its what you are using and how as Kevan says... meanwhile stop complaining about the HUGE bass you took :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I really wasnt trying to complain but i am sure everyone on this board has been there before. I've spent alot time and effort trying to make sure that what i am tying will catch and then you hit the lake and think to yourself the whole time bite, bite, bite. I can generally pull at least 3-4 rainbows in the 20 plus inch range from this lake in a couple of hours and very rarely have i caught bass. Makes ya scratch your head a little. Thanks for the input and the kind words.

I'm sure your bugger was fine. Anything with with marabou just clumps together underwater anyways.

bro, you need to soak you marabou a lot better before fishing it.

yo dude I wasn't saying you wher bitching about the bass. I was just saying that if your bugger goes zipping by Mr. Bass, he's going to take it--- go back again you might be stripping passed trout

Try tying up some bass bugs, go fishing for bass, and maybe you will catch a trout. :D Seriously, the size or color may not be to the trout's liking or, as Kevan said, the depth you are fishing may not be right.

honestly I think it has more to do with my theory that trout are to dumb to eat. Id rather catch bass...

I heard and am not stating a fact that I have researched. truot have like the third best [not best in the world] eye sight of game fish, and they are so selective,moody,wise,& ... we've got thumb's they got fins ---- I grew up with pleny of bass their dip shits -- very predictable, and tons of fun

trout are so dumb that we tie detailed flies at #24 and down to fool them---- ahh perhap's we're the fools -- slaves to their desires --- maybe we are all just part of some great fish in the skies dream??

The fish don't know which one you want to catch . . . . Be happy your flies are catching fish!! It's better than going home having caught nothing!