Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

WHAT DO YOU USE THE MOST?

What fly do you use the most?  

790 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the wooley bugger was the first fly I learned to tie and to fish.Black w/ chartruse tail for panfish.It has become my American Exspress fly as I never leave home without it.

wet flies,nymphs,grass shrimp #8 &10 ,some top water ,here in south louisiana we do not have a lot of open streams .

most of my fishing is done in lakes with lots of timber and structure also much grass thus the shrimp ,and dragon nymphs mostly.

At one of the small lakes in my area, the rainbow trout really seem to like the Montana Stone Fly. I have caught a lot of fish in that lake with that fly. Being in southern California there are few places to fish without having to travel far, so I frequent this particular lake.

Can't believe the Renegade has never been discussed? You must have missed it.

A great attractor pattern. Most favored on some of Idaho's native cutthroat streams.

I like the fly tied with a light silhouete, not bushy!

As to what flies I fish the most, that would definitely be dries for freshwater trout.

Match the hatch when that is the deal, or prospect with a good attractor.

Nothing happening then go to an emerger or searching nymph based on local knowledge.

No local knowledge, just keep experimenting and changing flies until hopefully you hit on the one!.

As we all know, there are days when no pattern will work! At least we were out among natural

and beautiful environs instead of watching some inane hogwash on TV!

Bob

p.s. I'll have to get used to this Forum. I just realized this a very old topic! Maybe it needed to be resurrected!

Depends what I'm fishing for. I fish nymphs 99% of the time for most freshwater species.

I usually use a dry as an indicator and then nymphs as my anchor and point. I usually try to make one an attractor, and the other a realistic-looking pattern.

Hi Will,

Yes, the picture in the hyper-link is the dry version of the Renegade I use. It was developed in the 1930s by Taylor Williams (Sun Valley, Idaho) as a wet fly but has evolved into the dry fly we see in fly shops today. I tie and fish it in a range of sizes from 3/0 to #24, both wet and dry. Sometimes I add dumb bell or bead chain eyes or a bead head. Listed below is an expanded recipe explaining the different versions:

Renegade (wet or dry)

Hook: wet, streamer, dry, salt, size 3/0 to 22

Thread: Black, hot orange, chartreuse

Tag: flat silver tinsel (original), hot orange or chartreuse (hot spot version)

Back hackle: brown, wet or dry, sparse or heavily hackled depending on version

Body: peacock herl, add chenille on the front half the body for the "Super version"

Center hackle: grizzly on the Super Renegade only

Front hackle: white, wet or dry, sparse or heavily hackled depending on version

Head: Thread, black, hot orange, or chartreuse

Bead head or dumb bell eyes: on the wet, steelhead, or saltwater verisions

Take care & Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hey Al, where are you throwing a 3/0 renegade, I was going to ask if you used a bright orange head, which I see you already know that litte trick. It is a great bug and very versatile.

Cheers, Futzer.

there wasnt a choice for nymphs and dries,so i voted for dries.I fish nymphs and dries and streamers.But if i had my choice i would fish a low riding dry emerger to rising fish.

shane

I fish nymphs 97% of the time, than streamers, than dries. I usually only use dries if I know that there is a hatch coming off, and even then will usually fish an emerger or floating nymph. I fish with dries mostly though when fishing for native brookies.

Thinking about starting a journal this year to see exactly what I use in concordance to what time of year it is.