Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Bought another home, and thanks to my wife, I have a tying room!

In the past, I've seen many pictures here of tying rooms and hide-aways. I have never had everything in one place; its always been scattered here and there, so half the time, I didn't know what I had or where it was. I moved a few months ago; a friend and family member wanted to move back to College Station, Texas to be near Texas A&M University and family. There is a large Italian community there, and Jack and Mary Jo wanted to be near everyone. I bought their home.

The house was built 31 years-ago, and Theresa and I have loved it since it was finished. It overlooks, and is about seventy-five feet up a hill from, Lake Waco, a 15,000 acre lake in the city limits of Waco, Texas, where my veterinary clinic has been for years. The first five pictures are basically my backyard. One of my kayaks, which you can't see, is down the hill about fifty-feet and just above the waterline. Its a Hobie, a peddle, paddle and/or sail kayak that really works well on the water. Waco is a small city of around 120,000 people. When I'm on the water and back to the right in these pictures, I'm in a slough that is loaded with deadfall and fish. Peddling along fishing or just kayaking, I pass waterlogged, downed trees and logs with big, old red-eared, slider turtles sunning themselves and watching drowsily as I go by.

IMGP0001.jpg

IMGP0002.jpg

IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

IMGP0005.jpg

The pictures below are of my tying room. It is little, around six-feet wide and twelve to thirteen-feet long, and it is loaded with "stuff", floor nearly to ceiling, as you can see, a lot more than I need, but I went nuts when I started this!! I've always hunted and fished, but it was only a few years-ago when I found flyfishing and flytying. Wish I had learned of these great hobbies (for me) many years before!

This little room was wasted space, a darkroom that was stacked with junk, and hadn't been used in years. Theresa said, "I think we can make you a great place for your tying and fishing stuff in here." After that, she talked to a friend who handles remodeling and cabinetry, and this is how it turned out! Of course, my "stuff" has also flowed over into the adjoining bedroom a little bit. That's where some more books are, along with all my flyrods, but they are organized in a rack, so it looks better than the tying room.

IMGP0045.jpg

IMGP0047.jpg

IMGP0048.jpg

IMGP0049.jpg

IMGP0051.jpg

IMGP0052.jpg

IMGP0053.jpg

IMGP0054.jpg

IMGP0055.jpg

Got lost in your book shelves. I see quite a few of my books there. My " Trout Flies For Rivers" - Pub Stackpole just came in today. I have the Modern Midges and Clouser Flies on order . But is that the "caddis flies" book put out by Stackpole. I was looking that up tonight. Is it as good as they say?

Looks like a good man got a GREAT room of his own from an even GREATER WIFE! :hyst: Not to mention a beautiful home with a heckuva view, congrats Ray!!

:DROOL:

wholly Schnikeys! that's a nice setup my friend.

-Clint

Oh and before I forget, a big KUDOS to your wife for making all this possible! Another good catch! :)

-Clint

Wow that is super impressive. Im going to be moving into a as of yet undiscovered house in the next year and a half or so and see that I have sometheing to shoot for. I love all the cubbyholes and shelves. Something Im needing. Lack of space is a bummer.

must be a really nice house! i love the view!

also i love your tying room...

really jealous because my tying place is next to my bed on a very tiny coffee table...

+ i would love to get my hands on YOU-r collection of books :0

In my next life I want to meet Ray's wife before he does.

NIce setup - great view of the lake too.

ROFL LMAO LOL you guys are too funny.

Do you need an Asian Butler? (:

Im 20 yrs old, going to culinary school, and

a terrific driver (believe it or not).

Oh, & i love to fish and tie flies when i have time. :)