Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
creekfishin

pheasant tail legs

When i make some pheasant tail knoted legs what size tail do i need ? i see alot on Ebay and was wanting to know before i got some ?

Please help me

I have never woried about the size of the tail feathers. I use the centers more since they are a little longer strands making knotting them easier. To control the size to your hook/pattern size you can change where the knot goes on the strands and the number of strands per knot (i am talking hopper legs). 3 strands for smaller hoppers moving the knot to about 1/3-1/4th of the way to the strand tips, 4-5 strands with the knot about half way or farther toward the base of the strands for larger. Those 2 changes control the length and girth of the legs.

They need to be long enough to get a knot in them. How long is that? Depends on your dexterity. I haven't run into a center tail feather yet that is too short. So I guess more important is don't overspend for some ungodly long fibers. Put the knot as close to the tips as you want and then you can trim the butt ends of the fibers to whatever length you need for the pattern.

Deeky

Thanks Deeky. with that said is pheasant tail the only thing you use to make legs ? and what do you make the wings out of for a hopper and how do you make it stay together ? (one piece )

A small knittiing needle really helps tie the leg knots...wrap the fibers around the tip and catch with the little hook and pull through. Much easier than by hand.

A small knittiing needle really helps tie the leg knots...wrap the fibers around the tip and catch with the little hook and pull through. Much easier than by hand.

i think i got that part down . i watched it on utube a hundred times . but how do you make the wings for a hopper ? it looks like a feather but on piece ? sorry to keep this going . and what kind of foam do you use on a hopper ?

For the wings i use wild turkey tail feather. BUT first you coat an entire feather in either clear lacquer or flexament. Let that completely dry. Then cut either a nice curve shape or v shape on the outer edge of about 10-15 strands(depends on size of fly) and tie that in till the longest tip is even with the tail. Any thinner foam will work since it has so much stuff on a hopper to keep it afloat.

If you get lazy (like me) you can tie a couple of hackles for the head instead of fighting with spinning hair...the fish don't seem to mind.

With respect to hopper wings, a trick I learned eons ago is to take a section out of a pair of pantyhose and stretch it tightly across an embroidery hoop. Coat the underneath side of the pantyhose with PVC pipe cement in a small area, as it dries very rapidly, and press feathers down , top-side up, onto the wet cement. Be sure to leave enough space between the feathers to enable you to cut them out with a pair of small scissors. Coat another area with cement and add more feathers, continuing to do this until the pantyhose has been covered with feathers. Let dry an hour or so and then cut each feather out by following the edge as closely as possible while cutting, without cutting either the feather or the stem. Fold them along the shaft and you have an indestructible set of wings and a very nice "handle" (the stem) to tie them in by. As there is quite a bit of size variation on some pheasant back skins, you get a nice range of various sized wings from a single skin. I use an old round embroidery hoop for this; but any shape will work.

I have caught as many as 35 nice sized goggle eye sunfish on a single fly, and the only damage was to the elk hair over-wing.

I leave it up to you to determine when, where, and how you go about acquiring the pantyhose.

TIGHT LINES!

For knotting pheasant tail fibers I use a Rainy's knotting tool. Basically it's a very small, small rug latching tool. I use it to knot rubber leg material also.

Fatman

i think i got that part down . i watched it on utube a hundred times . but how do you make the wings for a hopper ? it looks like a feather but on piece ? sorry to keep this going . and what kind of foam do you use on a hopper ?

There are so many hopper patterns, you're going to have to be more specific as to which pattern your working on so we can give you some help.

center tails. try golden pheasant tails, they typically have longer fibers plus the patterning is really cool.

Really no video needed. Grab a bunch of fibers (number depends on the size of legs you want, 1 fiber up to whatever you like). Pull so that the tips are close to aligned. Tie an overhand knot in them (the first part of tying your shoe). Pull it tight wherever you want it in the length. My explanation actually makes it sound harder than it is. It's just that easy.

Deeky