Fly Tying
getholdofjoru

Affixing eyes - how do you do it properly?

I am now tying a lot more streamers and want to add eyes. What's the best way of affixing them? What super glue dries clear?

I've dried a generic super glue that dried hazy and gorilla glue that bubbled up. What should I use for this? Also, is there any easy way to affix the smaller eyes without getting them stuck to your fingers?

HELP!

:wallbash:

I am now tying a lot more streamers and want to add eyes. What's the best way of affixing them? What super glue dries clear?

I've dried a generic super glue that dried hazy and gorilla glue that bubbled up. What should I use for this? Also, is there any easy way to affix the smaller eyes without getting them stuck to your fingers?

HELP!

:wallbash:

I don't use any CA type glues for eyes on streamers.

The best I've found is "Goop". Affix the eyes, let them dry, and then if you want to overcoat them for protection, put on a coat of Loon Hard Head. It's sorta like epoxy right out of the jar. Dries clear and it's very hard.

Easy applications.

Regards,

Streamer

I use super glue, it seems to work fine for me, just a small drop on the back of the eye and put it on. I have had a few instances where it gets that white powdery look, not sure what causes that.

I'll use a drop of superglue on the back of the eye. Depending on the fly I sometimes fill in the gaps with Knot Sense and hit it with the UV light. If I lose an eye I'll keep fishing it and I find it works better. :dunno:

I dont use any glue... I've NEVER had the eyes move on me. It's the technique I use that doesn't require any glue which is you wrap around your x-wraps like you would a parachute post.

I dont use any glue... I've NEVER had the eyes move on me. It's the technique I use that doesn't require any glue which is you wrap around your x-wraps like you would a parachute post.

I don't think he's talking about dumbell/hourglass eyes.

If I'm putting hologram stick on eyes on, a little dab of super glue then I coat the head with epoxy.....dries clear....then coat with clear nail polish and it makes it glossy.....I mainly paint my deceiver or streamer eyes on though....then use the same process with epoxy....

here are a few tips that have helped me

-For streamers I use plastic holograph eyes - not the molded kind, they are a lot cheaper and mold better to the shank for your applications.

- Build up a decent head to place the eye on. Then crease the eye so it will lay on the shank better.

- I use a drop of super glue to secure it in place and then you can over wrap with mono for a bomb-proof adhesion or just cover with SHHAN or epoxy.

Plasti Dip.

here are a few tips that have helped me

-For streamers I use plastic holograph eyes - not the molded kind, they are a lot cheaper and mold better to the shank for your applications.

- Build up a decent head to place the eye on. Then crease the eye so it will lay on the shank better.

- I use a drop of super glue to secure it in place and then you can over wrap with mono for a bomb-proof adhesion or just cover with SHHAN or epoxy.

for the stick on eyes i use the following method

bend the stick on eye into a "v" shape and stick it on. kinda like this <O>

stick-on1.jpg

tie in some clear mono thread and take a few wraps over the eye. coat with sally hansens or epoxy and the thread will virtually disappear

stick-on2.jpg

tie in some clear mono thread and take a few wraps over the eye. coat with sally hansens or epoxy and the thread will virtually disappear

That's neat trick. Thanks!

My mistake guys, I thought wrong - you meant doll eyes and a certaint Freak pointed out my flaw. Though I've only done it once, I used Sally Hanson's and then applied 5 min epoxy.

I use head cement to hold the eyes in place. Then, once that dries, I coat the head with Sally Hansen's Diamond Strength. Works.