Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
crazy4trout

trout

Here in the eastern US, almost all rainbows are hatchery fish; I know of only one stream within a two hours drive that has wild rainbows. (Obviously, none have native 'bows.) As a result, I hold rainbows in fairly low esteem. Even stocked browns seem to be a more sporting fish, and I have plenty of opportunity to fish for wild browns -- a much more rewarding experience. Locally, I'd be hard pressed to say whether I like brownies or brookies better, but rainbows are a very distant third.

Of course, wild 'bows are a whole 'nother story.

Clarkii - you don't have to go too far...it is a Big D. Redside.

i get over there every now and then... ;)

Not my favorite trout, but I fish them the most. Rainbows in my area seem to be the "big" sport fishing fish. My favorite species are the Hybrids ( Tiger Trout, Splake, Spar ) Of those my favorite is the Tiger Trout, followed by splake.

Interesting responses, a little surprising to me. Love them all, but in my experience the wild (almost always non-native) rainbows have fought the hardest, which makes for a little more fun.

I've never had a cutthroat or a brown make more than one serious jump while hooked, and I've found it pretty rare to see a cutt jump even once. I'm just happy to find any trout rising to dries, that always makes for a great day, even if they prove difficult/impossible to catch.

I really like all trout. I have never caught a bull trout, but my order of preference is:

Browns

Cuttys

Rainbows

I fish a lot of tailwaters in the spring time, and all I catch are rainbows, so I always am jonesing for big browns come July on bigger, free flowing rivers.

My favorite is speckled trout, aka spotted sea trout. I know it's really a drum and not a real trout but down here in Florida it's the only trout we have so I guess I don't have much of a choice :P

For catching and releasing... our local Redband Rainbows...a high desert subspecies that is a little more temperature tolerant.

post-13329-1261619962_thumb.jpg

For eating...the local kokanee (land-locked sockeye salmon)

OldHat

Maybe we should get some of those Redband here on the east coast to mitigate our thermal pollutted freestones. At what temps can those beauties feed and promulgate?

I like the aerial displays from the bows, but am convinced that the browns fight harder. The browns are also so much more likely to hit those drys which cant be topped with subsurface fishing. So overall I would have to pick the brown.

Never caught any of those western strains.................yet!