Fly Tying
csearsdirk

Lens for Cannon 20D

Hi everyone. I have a Cannon 20D with a pretty crappy lens that came with it. I would like to get a new lens for pretty much one sole purpose; that is to take pictures of the guy in the front or back of my drift boat where I have the fish in focus and the fisherman holding the fish to be blurred, or vice versa. I am a very amateurish photog, but would a fixed focal length lens that went down to a f/1.8 or f/1.4 do the trick? It seems you can get very fast lenses for not that much money if they are a fixed focal length with no zoom. What size would be good? 50mm? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

You seem to know more about this than I, so at the risk of stating the obvious.. When I want a shallow depth of field I open up the aperture (use a small f-number as you suggest) and increase the shutter speed (for a shorter exposure time) to compensate for the increased light.

You might also consider the converse (large f-number and longer t) and keeping the camera focused on the fish when the fisherman is moving (relative to the fish.) (As you would do to shoot a race-car or running deer.)

Thresher is right. The 50mm f1.8 is very inexpensive and will do the job very nicely. It's partly a matter of the aperture you choose, partly a matter of the focal length, and in part the distance to your subject relative to your background. The piece you are missing with the kit lens is the ability to get the ultra-wide aperture, though you could get the longer focal length.