Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ale440

what to buy?

this is my first post so bear with me. ive never tyed before but have a real itch to start. ive looked around and ive seen alot of stuff just not shure where to start. ........i will say i really dont want to start with something ok (i.e. vise) id rather spend alittle more on something good dosnt have to be the best but higher than the middle IF NEED BE. ive looked at kits and wondered if they are any good? so im hoping for some real help from you guys and a point int he right direction.

thanks

scott

this is my first post so bear with me. ive never tyed before but have a real itch to start. ive looked around and ive seen alot of stuff just not shure where to start. ........i will say i really dont want to start with something ok (i.e. vise) id rather spend alittle more on something good dosnt have to be the best but higher than the middle IF NEED BE. ive looked at kits and wondered if they are any good? so im hoping for some real help from you guys and a point int he right direction.

thanks

scott

Hi Scott, Welcome to the madness. There are many old posts in the forum with lots of good info on starting. In my opinion you have the correct outlook in starting. My best advice is to befriend a few shop rats at your local fly shop, nearly every shop I have ever been to is willing to let you demo a couple vices there. That is the best way to determine what you like. Also check out local tying clubs and lessons. Learn the basics from an experienced tyer, to avoid bad habits. Netflix also carries many tying DVDS.

What type of flies are you interested in, that makes some difference too.

Good luck, and be patient. Like anything it takes practice to get good. Repetition is key too, I like to say that you don't really master a pattern until you've tied 100 dozen of it. That is a little extreme, but the nay sayers usually have never tied that many of one pattern in their lives, let alone in one continuous order.

And feel free to ask anything, no question is dumb.

Cheers, Futzer.

i bought a starter kit and that was helpful. the vise did not last quite so long but it got me in the right direction. after the vise went i knew that i enjoyed tying and bought a nicer one. for information on tying the best thing i found was youtube. lots of people have posted videos up on how to tie. i foud learning how to tie was not very hard at all. i have only been tying for 2 years and still have lots to learn. but my boxes are full of my own flies and do quite well with them. its alot easier learning to tie then say learning how to play an instrument. good luck and i hope that one day you will enjoy tying as much as we do

Buy an HMH or Dyna-King vise, a Griffin/Rite/Mattereli/C&F bobbin, and some Dr. Slick's scissors and call it a day!

The most important fly tying tool you need is one you already have: your hands! Just like Futzer said, befriend an experienced tier and tie along with them to build up dexterity and some muscle memory in your hands.

Look at a pattern in the database, check out the materials and tie a dozen. Buy enough materials for 1 pattern, for the materials will come with the expansion of your new knowledge and know-how.

thanks

scott

Welcome to the forum glad to see i am not the only new guy. i have the same thoughts as you about vise and equipment. i think from what ive seen on the forum that the kit is not the way to go. i am going to buy materials for one pattern and then go from there. the trick is to figure out that pattern. i have joined a local club and will get the chance to tie some flys at the next meeting. also get to see some different vises and equipment that way i am not just running blind. good luck

Welcome to the forum glad to see i am not the only new guy. i have the same thoughts as you about vise and equipment. i think from what ive seen on the forum that the kit is not the way to go. i am going to buy materials for one pattern and then go from there. the trick is to figure out that pattern. i have joined a local club and will get the chance to tie some flys at the next meeting. also get to see some different vises and equipment that way i am not just running blind. good luck

As another "Newbie" I faced this same issue. I registered with a local fly fishing forum near wher I fish and asked a lot of questions on what works for that region. From that I put together a list of flies and material. From my intial list I decided which ones were good skill builders and self critique to see how I can improve. After seeing some flies on this site I have a long way to go.

Another issue is the quality of fly material, most of what came with my kit is still unused and I've already replaced the vise, went with a Peak rotary. In my brief time tying I've also discovered that there is a big difference in the quality of material, so I no longer purchase from a big box store's fly fishing section, instead I found the internet sitefor a true fly store and use them. They also have free shipping.

Hope this helps,

- Charlie

hi guys thanks for all the advise i meet w a guy who has a hmh spartan vise will let me have it for 75.00 used but looks bran new what do u guys think?

thanks

scott

hi guys thanks for all the advise i meet w a guy who has a hmh spartan vise will let me have it for 75.00 used but looks bran new what do u guys think?

thanks

scott

Scott, when it comes to vises, we all have our preferences. The only thing I can say is I bought

a Spartan back in October and absolutely love it. I have all three jaws (Omni, Magnum, Micro) and

haven't had a hook slip once. The rotary function is super smooth and they are built to last. As far

as customer service, I doubt there's any better. I have "0" complaints. I'm thinking of buying a

Standard just because I'm a tool nut. $75... I'd snatch it up.

Mike

thanks

scott

As stated earlier, Dr. Slick makes some good tools. One tip about scissors. Don't use your delicate scissors to cut "gnarly" materials. Get a pair of relatively cheap general purpose scissors to cut wire, big wads of hair, etc. Use the "jaws" (as opposed to the tip) of any of your scissors as often as possible so that when you need the tip to make that critical snip, it'll do the job.

This part is more of an opinion. Consider getting a bobbin with a solid ceramic tube. Some bobbins have ceramic inserts at the ends. I find that threading the bobbins with inserts is a little more of a hassle, even when using a bobbin-threading tool. I use those little plastic dental floss threading thingies as threading tools.

As a point of reference, I tie "warmwater" flies, so most of my flies are neither terribly delicate nor the works of art you've seen. For thread, I started using Danville "Flat Waxed Nylon". I later switched to 6/0 UNI-thread. The Danville thread is great when you need "flattened" thread (as the name suggests). For my purposes, the need for flattened thread while tying is minimal so the UNI works better for me.

BUT... as alluded to earlier, there are as many "best" products as there are fly tiers.

Have fun!

Neoflyte

Austin TX

hey guys one more question any info on the anvil atlas vise. seeing i dont know alot about vises i think for the price range its between the atlas and the hmh spartan. ive seen both and cant make up my mind any some thoughts.

thanks

scott

hey guys one more question any info on the anvil atlas vise. seeing i dont know alot about vises i think for the price range its between the atlas and the hmh spartan. ive seen both and cant make up my mind any some thoughts.

thanks

scott

The Anvil Atlas is a terrific vise, and a great value. It has smoother rotation than most vises in its price range, with rotational tension being adjusted by delrin bearing sleeves which are compressed by turning the nut on the beginning of the rotary arm. I would still consider that HMH Spartan at $75 to be a terrific deal. You will likely pay about double that for the Anvil Atlas. It will come with both the c-clamp and the pedestal base standard, which is nice.

David <><