Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

hooks 4 clousers

I known this has been talk about alot but on the last set of clouser I tied up I used a poper hook with the kink in it Iam thinking it was mustad 33903 no shure looking 4 the empty box but you know what a fly tyers table looks like

just wording how many of u r using that style of hook for the cloursers

THANKS

FC

I've used a variety of hooks for Clousers. I started with the older Mustad 3366, and some of the sproat bend worm hooks that Mustad produced. Same hooks as the 3366, but with barbs on the shank. They still work just fine & are usually inexpensive.

I've also used various Aberdeen style hooks, which work fine in the small sizes for panfish. I especially like the Matzuo sickle bend hook for panfish.

I now prefer Daiichi 1750 or Tiemco 9395 style hooks for freshwater Clousers size 4 or smaller, as I like the longer shank.

For larger size freshwater, 1, 1/0 or 2/0, primarily bass fishing, I use straight shank worm hooks. Mostly Gamakatsu or Owners, but other companies make them as well. Some of the spinnerbait hooks work well also, but are hard to find smaller than a 2/0.

I have used kink shank popper hooks too, the kink positions the eyes perfectly & makes binding them down easier.

For saltwater, I agree with the 3407/34007, but there are many other similar hooks available. VMC/Rapala rigging hooks are what I use most, they're stronger & sharper then the Mustad 3407.

I like the 3366. They are cheap which is one reason and I haven't had any problems with them. Plus I just like the shape.

3366. That's what Clouser himself recommends. No need to get all fancy and expensive.

One caveat: I've had numerous trout nip at the tails of small deep minnows tied on 3366s, and found the answer was to go to a longer shank hook for these small ones to be fished for stream trout. That puts the point of the hook closer to the tail of the fly and CAN increase hookups.

For all-around use though, 3366 is everything you need. I put a SLIGHT "up" bend to the eye before I start tying, I find it helps a little to keep the fly swimming correctly and in no way weakens the hook.

Guest Big E

I use both Mustad 3407DT and Daiichi X452.

Mustad is definately cheaper in price. They are also a bit shorter (by about an eye).

Finish on the Mustad isn't that great and they need to be sharpened.

Mustad 3407 and 34007 too, I have boat loads of these hooks. They are my primary hook for bass and pike.