Fly Tying
csearsdirk

Hackle options?

Hi. I was wanting to try to tie some H&L Variants and some attractor patterns that are similar in sizes 10-14. I am confused by hackle. I have limited experience using hackle. About the only thing I've used is some grizzly hackle for PMXs that I got from a starter kit I purchased online. I don't seem to have the hackle that I see online for H/L's. What do I need? How do you know what size to use? I don't think I am quite ready to throw down on a full hackle that costs a 100 bucks. To be completely honest, I am not even sure what hackle really is or means. Thanks in advance. This forum is great.

Since you are planning on tying flies only in the #10-14 range I would suggest you purchase a rooster saddle rather than a rooster neck. A saddle usually has feathers with a small range of sizes (ie: 10-14 or 8-12.) A neck (cape) will give you a much greater range of sizes (say from #4 to #30) most of which you can't use for your H&L. You can get a Hebert saddle for about $20, a Metz #2 saddle for $25 (or a Metz 1/2 saddle for $13!) You should also look into Whiting Hundreds (which are guaranteed to tye 100 flies of one size and retail for about $18.) For the H&L you want a furnace. If furnace isn't listed, just get a med brown. Most natural browns are actually furnace anyway.

To determine the right size to use, wrap a feather around the hook shank. The barbs should splay out and extend one and a half hook gaps from the shank. (You should either buy or make a hackle gauge to facilitate hackle sizing.)

As for what a hackle is... Generally it is a feather which is wrapped around the hook shank to yield a collar. In a dry fly the collar is used to float the fly. In a wet fly the collar may represent the legs (and sometimes wings) of the insect.

I'll second what rockworm said. Saddles are a better value, expecially for the limited range of sizes that "attractor" patterns are usually tied in. In the size 10 to 14 range there are many saddles from many suppliers. You will need both a Grizzly, and Brown (Furnace) for Humpies. Metz has offered a combo package with half a grizzly, and half a brown saddle.

go with the saddle!!!! when i first started tying i bought a half cape grizzly and brown, differences between a saddle and a cape (for me at least) saddles are easier to tie with for the beginer because the stem is really thin and easier to bend on the hook shank, you also can tie 3-4 more flies with one saddle feather and that = cheaper cost to u. capes are not forgiving to you and are trickey to work with stem is fairly thick and takes some getting used to wrapping the hackle (short feather usually 1 feather per fly). once you get used to tying dry fly hackle (and you like tying dry flies) then buy a cape like every body said you get a broad range of sizes and you learn some new things...