Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
coinman66

School of Clousers

can't go wrong with clousers that's for sure. Nice looking batch of clousers.

Mike

for those who like to tie down the hair behind the eyes, maybe try a band of bright red thread, to suggest gills. ( just a different style, I guess, but perhaps shouldn't call them "Clouser" deep minnows unless they are tied in accordance with that pattern)

Your bucktails look good, and they should do well. I did really well last year on crappies using a Chartreuse and Pink color combo. !!! Uglier than a skinned cat, but the fish fish liked it.

actually those colors, chartreuse & pink color combos, are very successful colors here in my area for some panfish flies I tie :)

Mike

nice looking flys. Just out of curiosity why do you tie the wing down behind the eyes?

Dont know really? Like i said im fairly new at this fly tying stuff. I thought i saw a picture where they tied the top down. Are they suppose to be left untied?

The clouser's top wing is meant to only be tied down in front of the eyes. This allows the material to be fuller in the water and have more movement.

That being said, there's no reason why your flies won't or don't catch plenty of fish.

The clouser's top wing is meant to only be tied down in front of the eyes. This allows the material to be fuller in the water and have more movement.

That being said, there's no reason why your flies won't or don't catch plenty of fish.

Totally agree. Clousers are one of my favorite patterns, and I tie a TON of them, When I'm rolling I can easily tie 2 1/2 dozen an hour. Just a couple tips, one, don't tie the wing down behind the eyes, not to say you don't catch fish on them, but I think you will find your catch rate going up. Also I find that my best Clousers have a "hint of color". What I mean by that is tie some like you normally would, and tie some with half the amount of top wing, and see which works better for you. Lastly, and this is straight from Bob Clouser's mouth, by way of A.K. Best... Tie Clousers sparsely. Use half the amount of hair you think you need. You should be able to see through one when you hold it up to the light. Baitfish are transluscent. Even this isn't my best example, its a little too "full". It is tied with super hair, not bucktail, I find it much easier to work with as well as being much closer to what an actual baitfish looks like underwater.

post-23749-1263620006_thumb.jpg

I have caught lots of fish on the way i tied them, but if the other way will increase my catch rate, im all for it. Thanks for the info guys.

My 2 cents... when I'm at the bench finishing off the fly, I slap on a coat of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails on the head and across the eyes. It then stays that way till whenever I happen to be working with epoxy the next time. When that happens, I then might throw on some epoxy to use up the batch, and in those cases I tend to focus on ones that might have painted dumbell eyes. The epoxy offers some decent protection against chipping (lots of rocks where I fish).