Fly Tying
David Legg

Favorite Bugger Colors?

What are your favorite colors for Wooly Buggers?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Black and Olive for me. I have tyed up some larger Wounded Whites (touch of red) for the Shad kill.

Buggers must be the most versatile pattern there is. I mostly uses the black one, but sometimes I arm it with beads and/or rubber legs.

Another one that have worked the last years are olive with red front hackle and red metallic bead - a variant of the icelandic fly "Rektorn" (The principal)

I always use fox or rabbit for the tail, depending on the size. My favourite hook is the Gamakatsu F-314 (se the black/chartreuse and the olive/red buggers)

post-32453-0-61737500-1306398196_thumb.jpg post-32453-0-57873100-1306399744_thumb.jpg post-32453-0-80072300-1306399295_thumb.jpg

And they work... :-)

post-32453-0-26127900-1306398983_thumb.jpg

Rio Gallegos sea trout

Black is classic but Olive with a bit o’ Gold works for anything in the water. I tied a few with a fork tail that are killer.

Gold tungsten bead, grizzly olive tail, chartreuse estaz body, grizzly olive hackle, red wire rib, grizzly red schlappen collar if I'm feeling saucy.

all, lol.

i'm experimenting this season with mixing colours (shooting for a mottled look) and using grizzly hackles.

I tie a Coachman style body , black with chartreuse waist behind a black bead. Tail is black with a couple strands of Krystal flash. A pink waist on a black bugger also seems to work well.

In order...Olive, Black, Brown, Black with Olive...in rivers when I'm after Walleye and/or Sauger, yellow body/white tail/white hackle gets added to the mix.

Those are my go-to's, but I have a lot of fun tying Buggers so I'm always trying new combinations. Funny thing is, I have never had significant success with all white or white with grizzly. I do an orange Estaz/white tail/white hackle that gets love from trout, but my absolute favorite for winter time fishing is all Black with pearl Flashabou tied into body and tail. It has never failed to not only get hit but get biggest fish of the day in the winter.