Fly Tying
David Legg

Favorite Bugger Colors?

What are your favorite colors for Wooly Buggers?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

black or olive coneheads. black 80%. just works for me that's all. I have a number of colors and sizes in my box, but black size 6 or 8 gives me results.

Black and Olive tied with a chenille body and Rootbeer with an Estaz body. All size 6 or 8 with a gold conehead.

Black size 10 or 12 gold beadhead with gold flash in the tail.

I go white with a grizzly hackle when the water is stained.👍

post-41500-0-69332100-1451946199_thumb.jpg

I went through this thread looking to see if anyone else would mention Black and Blue, I'm surprised to not see that combo mentioned. I like to do a black estez body with blue tail and black and blue hackle combo. This black and blue combo has accounted for almost all my largest bass large and small mouth. If you haven't go ahead try it. Cast and hold on because a big pull is about to happen.

I've seen so many people comment that an olive woolly bugger is their most productive color. It's funny, cause it's been my least productive !! Meaning all olive woolly bugger. I do well with olive chenille in the tie but not an all olive bugger. By far my most productive bugger in all waters is a peacock herl body, black tail and grizzly hackle. All black is next.

Black size 10 or 12 gold beadhead with gold flash in the tail.

I go white with a grizzly hackle when the water is stained.

Yeah, I can see those working well for sure.

I recently scoured the web for the best streamer patterns. Of course the wooly bugger was one mention the most often. And the colors where Black and Olive.

I haven't tied one in a long time but I used to tie a size 10 with olive chenille, brown marabou and black hackle and run just a couple of strands of greenish crystal flash down each side. That was a killer in a pond here named Spectacle in early to mid April using sinking line. It's also probably best to rib that to hold the crystal flash, gold oval tinsel or fine wire is fine. Not thick wire, you don't want to detract from that medial line of crystal flash.

Solid black produces all year on trout streams in TN. White with crystal flash is good in the winter when we get the blueback herring die-off in the lakes in NC.

In order...Olive, Black, Brown, Black with Olive...in rivers when I'm after Walleye and/or Sauger, yellow body/white tail/white hackle gets added to the mix.

Those are my go-to's, but I have a lot of fun tying Buggers so I'm always trying new combinations. Funny thing is, I have never had significant success with all white or white with grizzly. I do an orange Estaz/white tail/white hackle that gets love from trout, but my absolute favorite for winter time fishing is all Black with pearl Flashabou tied into body and tail. It has never failed to not only get hit but get biggest fish of the day in the winter.

Would you mind elaborating on your walleye bugger?

There are colors other than olive? Ya mean like olive and brown or olive and black?

I thought I might have replied to this. I carry three woolly bugger variants in my fly box. Most productive has been the White River Demon created by Tony Spezio. This is not my tie but it give you and idea of what it looks like. Tony used a fluorescent orange thread for the pattern and gold bead for the head

Tail- White marabou with some pearl flash

The shank is wrapped with the thread and the body is pearl braid

Hackle is white.

post-309-0-32635700-1518403196_thumb.jpg

The second is the Chili Pepper. Tony showed it to me but it was created by Bob Root. Again this is not my tie, it's better than any picture I have

post-309-0-28236600-1518403856_thumb.jpg

Tail- Burnt Orange Marabou/copper crystal flash

Body- Copper sparkle chennile

Hackle- Brown

Bead Head- Copper or Gold

The third is called the Catskill Killer. Couldn't find a picture of it. It was shown to us by a guide prior to a club trip to the West Branch of the Delaware. It was designed to imitate the alewives that wash over the dam there.

Tail- yellow marabou/yellow crystal flash

Body- Pearl Sparkle Chenille

Hackle-yellow

Bead-gold or silver

I have a few of them in my box. A couple of each in size 10. My most effective size for pan fish and trout have been tied on size 14 or size 16 2 XL hook.