Fly Tying
CoachBob

Younger Flyfishers

I love the outdoor life and I love getting Killamanjaro on Halo 3. I think it's very brash to say that I'm lame because I choose to play a video game. Honestly, there are worse things that I could be doing and I don't see much harm in click a flicking a couple buttons. While I agree that we has shit like "Wii Sports" where it enables kids to "play football" while never leaving the house...

History repeats itself folks. Same thing happened in the Roaring 20s with the Flappers and their ideals in life. It's happening again and I raise the question, who do we think we are trying to control what the next generation does?

I have three kids two boys 13 and 12 and a Daughter she is 5. The boys love to fish with my flies and seem to have an affinity for trying to catch squirrels, which keeps me in the fly tying business.java script:add_smilie(":huh:","smid_2") After work she greets me with hi Dad and Lets Tie a Fly i will try to post some of hers... she has developed one that she calls the Flying Buzzard... what a name she said "its not as pretty as an eagle" this is priceless...java script:add_smilie(":thumbup:","smid_33")

I am setting a few kids at the vise most weeks this time of year. I'll be meeting with them again tomorrow night. Lots of interest that only needs a little instruction, patience and encouragement to bloom into real talent!

Being very involved with Boy Scouts, I know that ANY sport or activity has a lot of competition out there.

That's good to hear. I'm an Eagle Scout, and am also one of the young guns on this site, getting ready to go to college. As for video games, balance is key. I used to play a lot of video games when I was younger, but now I'm much more into fishing, shooting, and hunting. Video games aren't exactly evil, you just have to control yourself.

Tight lines

-CF

I raise the question, who do we think we are, trying to control what the next generation does?

We're what are called "Morals", "Ideals", "History", "Wisdom", and "Guidance"...

We're in the ETERNAL struggle to TRY to get some of you to see the most efficient way to a positive outcome, because we've already been there and done that. We're hoping against hope that a few will understand that life isn't always about having fun and doing only what you WANT to do; the long term success of a culture depends on knowledge being passed from one generation to the next, and each generation understanding and embracing it! We in some part want to "control what the next generation does" because we have worked, fought, sweated, shed tears, and bled within our heritage and we feel ownership of it; we don't want to see what we hold dear flushed down the sewer because the next generation thinks it's too hard or no fun.

That's WHO WE ARE.

We're the ones trying in vain to show that we were in your shoes one time too, and you don't have to learn everything the hard way, by making epic mistakes due to inaction, cluelessness, and misunderstanding of where we came from. We've already made a LOT of mistakes, you don't need to reinvent the wheel and make them all over again.

It nearly failed in the 20's to use your own example!! And it really may HAVE failed then and we are just now beginning to see the tangible effects on the nation. Do some reading and research.

We're the ones who truly understand that a human being does not possess the wherewithal to really know ANYTHING about life and the world until they're at least (say) 25... closer to 30 for most males, AND have faced honest-to-God hardship in life.

We're the ones who are trying to tell you that you DO NOT understand what fear and love are until you hold your own flesh and blood newborn baby in your arms, or have served and given every fiber of your being in honor of your Brothers In Arms. (and Sisters.)

We're trying to explain that "hungry" does not mean deciding between a Taco-bel-Grande and Chalupa Supreme for lunch when breakfast consisted of 4 kinds of sugar cereal and a mocha-latte.

dam' I gotta stop, I'll be here all night.

Anyways, THAT'S WHO WE ARE. We don't know everything, and the older we get, the more we don't know... but by God, here we are.

think all the kids who play video games are lame.....

Woa now! Its not the Xbox that makes people lame, it the people who have no self control.

I play Halo on Xbox and its fun. but I don't over do it.

I got started in Fly fishing and tying several years ago, and had spin fished for 2 years before that. Since I got started in Fly Fishing Fly tying, I've gotten my little brother Ethan (8) started in it, and now the kid rocks at it. My little sister (5), My older cousin (17), and right now I'm working on my older brother who is 25 and is married and in college.

sorry jan i did not mean to insult anyone.... i should have said i think that people who play video games excessively and dont get to enjoy the outdoors.

i do agree with fishboy on the xbox, people over do it entirely, i have kids at my school who play literally 24/7 and run on redbull and twinkies lol, i dont think its a bad thing to play occasionally but i dont understand the obbsession with shooting games and gore

i run own twinkies often =) just not to play video games though!

No worries :) Gimme a hostess Ding Dong over a twinkie any day :P

also a fan of oatmeal cream pies and zebra cakes :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: but the all time favorite is doughnuts :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I know that this thread has been dead for awhile, but I stumbled on it this afternoon and it really struck a chord with me. I'm a young guy, 22, and like most folks my father introduced me to fly fishing at a young age. Fly fishing is my life's passion, and something I hope to make a lifelong career out of as well. That being said, I think there is no doubt that interest in the sport is fading with my peers and the younger generations. I think it is our responsibility as fly fishers (no matter what our age) to ensure that our heritage doesn't disappear. Parents, technology, and cultural changes may all be to blame, but what really matters is that those of us who share a love for fly fishing actively strive to introduce others. I, for example, have founded a Fly Fishing Club at the college I attend. We have a modest membership of eight students, but of those eight, three were entirely new to the sport. Through partnerships with the FFF and local fly shops, I have outfitted these students with loaner rods, reels, vices, and materials on a number of occassions and I truly believe that I've helped to spark their interest in a sport and way of life that mean so much to me.

So, when it comes to the discussion of "who's to blame" for our dying sport, I think that ultimately the answer is "us".......the fishermen. If you aren't actively sharing your time and knowledge with others, then you are simply contributing to the extinction of fly fishing and for that you should be ashamed.

~Evan

I'm 14 and I've been into fishing for some time now. Carolina Fisherman, I need some inspiration. I'm Star and want eagle but I just don't feel it.....

I want to start Fly fishing but I got to get a better rod the one i have is kinda crappy...

I'm 17. I love tying and fishing. I've been fishing since I was like 3 and fly fishing and tying since about 4 years ago. I've always loved the outdoors because I was exposed to them and really enjoyed them. I was never forced into it though. My natural interest has kept me into it. As for telling other generations what to do. I agree in instilling good values in them but we really shouldn't force them into anything. Expose them to many many things and their natural interest will dictate what they decide to stick with. Call me a hippie, but I do think people should do whatever they want that makes them happy (within reason of course) that's what makes everyone who they are. I'll agree video games have taken over too much but in moderation they are fine. I'm not a huge fan unless I'm with friends, then it becomes a good thing to do late at night after doing other things outside of screens.

And I have to disagree that our sport is dying. It actually is growing from what I've heard, and I'll do all I can to keep it that way.

Good topic