Fly Tying
Gustav F.

What brand of tying thread do you use?

451 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I prefer to use Dannevile's for the majority of my work although I sometimes like to use the uni products on trout fly's and I normally like to use Pearsall's when I am tying classic wet flies or for flies with quill wings just depends on what I am tying I guess.

obviously the real answers are all of the above and more, for certain situations.

However, I recently switched my prefence for a general thread. I used to be heavy on Danville and Uni. tied a good majority with those, but I recently switched to UTC 70 and UTC 140. I've also started using Georgio Bennechi * alot, Veevus, Roman Moser Power Silk, Gudebrod, Euro Threads, and many others. But the two I use most now, are UTC and Bennechi.

UTC allows a much cleaner, smoother underbody for most of my applications.

I use clear mono line (diameter about 0.1 mm) for most of my flies, except the smallest dries & nymphs.. Mono is a must when making transparent streamers for the clear water (sea), but it works for almost any flies - very forgiving and durable material.

Danville 6/0 Flymaster and Uni 8/0 are great tying threads. I tie all my trout flies with them sizes ranging from 2/0 to 28's.

When they start producing hooks in the size 40 range I'll look into the micro-threads :-).

Uni 6/0 and 8/0 for most things but I'm a big fan of Danville Monocord 3/0 for all my bass flies of which I tie a lot of.

Uni, Danville, and Bennechi as much as possible. At the fly-fishing expo this weekend, I just picked up some of Superfly's new Superthread....listed as a 6/0, it is more like a 8/0, and crazy strong.....I think that I will like it.

UNI for most of my trout flies. I use a ton of 8/0 in black, red, olive, and brown. I have come to prefer UTC for anything saltwater or bass, because I like the way it lays down for clouser heads. I also feel that the UTC 140 allows me to torque a bit more than UNI 6/0 while still laying flat.

I started tying with utc cause that is what was available to me but lately I have really been liking uni and have been slowly stocking my colors with that. It's definetly becoming my go to