Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

Vises: Lets See Yours

Yup, that's a Xuron.

Here are a few from days gone by.

vises.jpg

Left to right: Price Vise, Price Jr., Xuron?, Polly Rosborough Vise

I've beaten around the idea of invest hundred's of $$'s on a vise, but then again my Renzetti Traveler has served me well for years. What's the point in spending $500 on a vise? Just to say I have a vise? This thing, I've stripped the knurled screw twice, but it keeps holding steady. Great vise. I've been tying on a Thompson model A lately too. -Jamie

post-18014-1277089228_thumb.jpg

I've beaten around the idea of invest hundred's of $$'s on a vise, but then again my Renzetti Traveler has served me well for years. What's the point in spending $500 on a vise? Just to say I have a vise? This thing, I've stripped the knurled screw twice, but it keeps holding steady. Great vise. I've been tying on a Thompson model A lately too. -Jamie

I have a renzetti traveler too, but I have the knob tightening jaws and not the lever. Are the lever that much better?

I have a renzetti traveler too, but I have the knob tightening jaws and not the lever. Are the lever that much better?

Big J, The cam lever is the jam! I'll never buy a vise without one again. I think it holds stronger.

So much for Name That Vise...

Anyway... here's the final clue...

P6201183.jpg

In the end, Norm decided to take a different path... one less travelled...

My vise is not on the same level as the majority of vises on here, but I got this one for $5, and it does its job fine.

vise.jpg

'Similar in SO MANY WAYS...

P2120050-1.jpg

The concept is pretty straight forward...

The execution can be basic or technically involved...

Different levels of design, materials, and engineering culminate in a dedicated tool that revolves around securing a hook for dressing...

Some folks simply want a "solution" [that's fine!] while others strive for an aesthetic statement [art appreciation 101]...

I consider high end pieces to be "kinetic sculptures" ...

Instead of more conventional coffee table or wall hanging works of art...

My VICE is the VISE...

To each their own..

My vise is not on the same level as the majority of vises on here, but I got this one for $5, and it does its job fine.

img]http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/floggingmollyls/vise.jpg[/img]

Any vise that you feel comfortable with is better than any vise you DON'T feel comfortable with...

"One man's dream is another man's nightmare."

(~ Hans Weilenmann)

I've always told myself that I would buy a new "fancy" vise when mine breaks, but this thing is bullet proof hahaha

my Peak with modified tension adjustment nut. I didn't like the smooth nut, and and a hardware store nut wasn't going to happen. A few minutes with a Dremel and a needle file, and I had it solved.

post-10077-1277475708_thumb.jpg

Does anyone's Danvise have a really sticky jaw release knob? One of my vises broke so I picked one up - never used one before and the hook is ridiculously hard to get out. Also, even when the the jaw knob is fully tightened (and impossible to release) the hook moves around in the vise. Maybe someone has some tips for me.

Here's my Griffin Odyssey vise. I really like it.

4515605441_3dcf7d63be.jpg

And the workspace/organizer I built. A pedestal base will be ordered soon.

4469907498_e4d3aefc2c.jpg

This is my vise also,thanks for taking the pic for me notenuftoys.

shane