Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatzFatz

I've got crabs

Just started tyin a few for a trip to Belize this spring...experiments that still need testing...

post-15973-1266801790_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1266801861_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1266801922_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1266802017_thumb.jpg

Awesome flies! Flatz, what is the gold body of the baboon fly made of? I love the sandflea, should kill the pomps :headbang:

Great looking flies, Swink, that blue crab is incredible.

Dude those are some sweet crabs...really like those claws.

Did yo make those eyes?

I made them...a bit tedious, but easier now with a drying wheel. Glass bead on mono(burnt tip and a touch of zap), then epoxied over. I use to make them a pair at a time and would spin them and wave them around for five minutes to let them dry evenly. My girlfriend called them techno eyes because she said I looked like a rave rat twirlin glow sticks...The blue crab I actually got published in Southwest Fly Fishing last year, but the other three are new and haven't touched the water yet.

Thanks Andy, the body is made of small mylar gold craft cord, 10 yards for a buck, same stuff I used for the body on the Stealth. Next few I make I'll unravel until it looks like a brillo...

Swink, they were well worth the effort. I always think big mono eyes are one of the most important features on crabs and shrimp...one I always have trouble with. Thanks for the tip

Good looking crabs.

I make my eyes the same way but using Loon Hard Head. Dip and put it into the wheel. Takes a bit longer to cure but no mixing of epoxies. Try different color beads, they make an interesting variation for an eye.