Fly Tying
cspears0006

"CRAWL DADS"

I'll help you out here, young man. You can have from the Powerplant at Louisa to one mile above the Wagon Wheel Restuarant. My wife and I will take from there up the canyon to the stateline. HA! Great fishing if the water is right. I'll taken several trophy class smallies about 1/2 mile above the part. The boulders and rolling gravel will punish your knees and ankles, but it's worth the wade. Poppers and craws kill them in that stretch.

I am taking notes and triangulating. I figure the white space is where the fish are. Thanks to all this is better than a subscription to Eastern Fly Fishing. You got honey holes, patterns and pictures. :yahoo:

I'll help you out here, young man. You can have from the Powerplant at Louisa to one mile above the Wagon Wheel Restuarant. My wife and I will take from there up the canyon to the stateline. HA! Great fishing if the water is right. I'll taken several trophy class smallies about 1/2 mile above the part. The boulders and rolling gravel will punish your knees and ankles, but it's worth the wade. Poppers and craws kill them in that stretch.

I am taking notes and triangulating. I figure the white space is where the fish are. Thanks to all this is better than a subscription to Eastern Fly Fishing. You got honey holes, patterns and pictures. :yahoo:

You gotta watch treading on a Coal Miners water friend...hahaha

ROFL

gotta watch what you say with 25000 people listening in. :P

ROFL

gotta watch what you say with 25000 people listening in. :P

LOL That is true I guess

No fears about you NonAppalachian types finding our fishing holes. The river is easy to find: It's that watery thing at the bottom of the valley; the holes themselves, well that's another story. And if you do find them, that ain't nothing a phone call to the local sheriff about a car with outta state plates won't fix! :D

But on a serious suggestion: If you live a few hours from the area, give it a go. People from out side the area describe it as "Colorado in Kentucky" because of the river canyon and the miles of scenic beauty. Fantastic fishing when the temps and flows are right. Great opportunities for smallmouth and trophy trout.

Hello everyone,

Unbelievable fly tyers on this forum. The patterns shown here are all so awesome. I hope I'm not going to embarass myself but I think this latest fly of mine has potential. This is my very first post here, I fish mostly for trout but also fish for bass once or twice a year, so I tye mostly trout flies.

After spending a bit of time this winter sitting on the bench, I came up with this pattern for a crawdad/fish day-dreaming of fishing for bass and some other warm-water to fish. It's hard to do that kind of fishing sometime up here in MT. Anyway, to break the monotony of tying trout flies, I tinkered and came up with this....and hope y'all like it.

Stoner Dad. Size 1/0 bass worm hook. I designed it specifically for largemouth hence, the big 1/0 hook. The body/tail section has a heavy lead wrap inside, which also helps to keep the hook upright and for added weight. This hook will also allow me to add a weed guard as an option. I'm hoping to fish this out in the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck, hope I didn't jinx myself for posting this here first :( . I'll give more details/recipe in a couple of weeks after my warm-water trip.

Stoner Dad

P2180483-1-1.jpg

P2180477-1-2.jpg

P2180485-2-1.jpg

P2180486-1-1.jpg

I also came up with a shrimp fly pattern but will post that for another thread some other time so not to veer off the thread. Hope to share more flies/tales with you guys.

I just noticed that I'm a "bait fisherman", hilarious and so appropriate for my first post. :headbang:

You just mid what I said about Lvisa Fork. Dem smallies are mine! HA! HA!

Brother you can have the Levisa, I am more interested on the Elkhorn Creek in Frankfort, the Licking, and the Russel Fork in Elkhorn City

Let me rephrase you can have from Pikeville down to Louisa I will take from Pikeville to Elkhorn City...bahaha

While you guys are dividing up what I already own , I'll just float on by throwing smallie candy and laughing all the way. :bugeyes: :yahoo: I conquered every flow in Eastern Ky with my flyrod years ago. :devil:

100_3012.jpg

100_3015.jpg

100_3014.jpg

Nobody likes a show off, Alan. <_< :lol: :lol: PM me and let me know if you've fully recovered from your saw injury. Was back in Letcher County visiting family and thought about you as I crossed the Bird.

Hook 'Em,

just curious, why the worm hook? The overall profile of the fly, which I'm digging by the way, doesn't look that large.

Nobody likes a show off, Alan. <_< :lol: :lol: PM me and let me know if you've fully recovered from your saw injury. Was back in Letcher County visiting family and thought about you as I crossed the Bird.

Hook 'Em,

just curious, why the worm hook? The overall profile of the fly, which I'm digging by the way, doesn't look that large.

I'm not showing off brother I just wanted you guys to know while you were deciding what to do I would keep the smallies busy. :yahoo: PM sent

Wow, sweet ties, y'all. Smallie fishing is a heck of a lot of fun and y'all are driving me nuts with this talk of Kentucky. Unfortunately, I fish primarily the South Fork of the New, and we don't have too many large-sized smallies. I'm doing my research and trying to find some good smallie water not too far from the Boone area.

Tight threads guys, and sweet craws!

-CF

All this talk of craws is makin me hungry for a craw boil and possibly a fish fry.

oracle