Fly Tying
mhackney

Build a fly fishing reel

Hello everyone. I posted this in the rodbuildingforum a few weeks ago and received some suggestions to cross-post here. Basically, I've been hand-making brass fly reels for some time and teaching others how to do it. It really is a simple process and only requires an electric drill and some hand tools - no lathe or machine shop needed!

To help people get started and show how straight-forward it is, I've created a presentation of my reelsmithing techniques that shows you how you can build fly reels using simple hand tools! It includes overviews of the tools, materials and techniques I use and teach and then steps through my entire reelbuilding process. Building this reel is a great place to start. You'll learn a lot of techniques and discover many ways to customize, improve, and personalize your reel.

TheReelDealOverview.Thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of one of my reels:

p549387890-2.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

i do like to build stuff, and this looks pretty interesting, i will have to give it a try,,,thanks,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks guys. Check out the posts in the Reel Showcase on the Reelsmithing forum. Lots of guys are building these reels and having a great time. I teach people how to build one of these in a single-day workshop. I've spent a lot of time experimenting with materials and techniques - as you'll see in the presentation - to make reelsmithing accessible to everyone.

cheers,

Michael