Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wes917

Questions about article???????

I was reading this article (awesome btw)here and had a couple of questions. Does anybody have a preferred source for their 2mm foam sheets and black antron? Also where it says to lacquer the body is the author using head cement or paint lacquer? Thanks.

Wes

You can find 2mm foam from our sponsor, J. Stockard whose link is at the top of the page. Laquer is just European dialect for head cement.

You can find 2mm foam from our sponsor, J. Stockard whose link is at the top of the page. Laquer is just European dialect for head cement.

Thanks, not sure how I missed when I was going through their site :wallbash: :wallbash:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I will have to make a trip tomorrow. Pretty excited about trying out that technique.

I've gotten 2mm foam at Hobby Lobby & Walmart too.

I think Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart are doing fine in their customer base and financial pool.

I think Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart are doing fine in their customer base and financial pool.

Glad your pockets are so deep, friend.

More importantly, are you getting open or closed foam? Will it bleed color?

Sometimes quality counts.

Closed cell foam for dry fly applications... open cell foam for wet fly applications... as a general rule.

I have never seen the colors bleed.

LOL... foam isn't THAT expensive. But personal choice. If you are in Walmart and see what you like, go for it. The problem I usually see in hobby stores and such is that I can't get the colors I would like most of the time. I am more likely to find it at the Flyshop.

Closed cell foam for dry fly applications... open cell foam for wet fly applications... as a general rule.

I have never seen the colors bleed.

It was a shocker to me too to see it happen. A fellow tyer had raided his wife's craft supplies for orange foam and did some bugs out of it.

We dunked it in a bowl of water to see how it floated and it started making an orange slick after about 15 seconds. Did not sink, just... bled.

Buying from our esteemed sponsors is a good idea, this board is an added value and entertainment you won't get at Wal-mart. Unless you have a strong sadistic streak and count "People of Wal-mart" as entertainment. :bugeyes:

I have not bought anything from J. Stockard yet, I confess... I do patronize my local fly shop for most of my needs. I will one of these days soon, I have a list of hooks I need to restock soon and a fair sized order would make it worth my while to order from them. Some synthetic materials or standardized items make sense too: beads, yarn and flashaboo, for example.

Feathers and natural materials I feel I must see in person and touch to be sure it is the color and texture I want.

Ultimately, neither my local shop or our sponsors should be so hard pressed that a few dollars of foam from Wally World make any sort of difference to the bottom line.

It certainly can make a difference to an individual, so I hope they invest the savings wisely and become trout bums before the rest of us!

If you break the bank of the correct type of foam, let me know.

Didn't mean to start an argument here just didn't know where to find the correct foam.

I placed an order with J.S. and got foam from them since I was already ordering a couple of other things, and well its only a $0.99 for 2 sheets.