Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatzFatz

FlyLipps Shrimp

After screwing around with a few variations over the day this is the end result.

It's simpler to tie than the original and sometimes simple is more effective.

Step by step photos included.

Enjoy...dave

Thats what they claim, have heard some very promising reports on the Pensacola Fishing Forum. The inventor is a Panhandle local, the product seems widely distributed (bought mine from Saltwaterflies.com) with positive reviews. They are very easy to tie with and if work as advertised have the potential greatly increase the fun factor.

Going to wander down to the lake tomorrow, launch the boat and try out a bunch of patterns, will let y'all know how the flylipps work.

Stay tuned...film at elven :smoke:

I wonder how necessary the lip is. The fly will tend to rise as you strip anyway, if you are fishing a floating or intermediate line. If it rises a lot faster, and it sinks fast, it could be a lot more effective when you want that darting fleeing motion. If it isn't weighted enough, it would tend to keep the fly very near the top all the time.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how the pattern fishes with and without that lip.

I wonder how necessary the lip is. The fly will tend to rise as you strip anyway, if you are fishing a floating or intermediate line. If it rises a lot faster, and it sinks fast, it could be a lot more effective when you want that darting fleeing motion. If it isn't weighted enough, it would tend to keep the fly very near the top all the time.

I would love to hear your thoughts on how the pattern fishes with and without that lip.

Dave,

I gave it a shot on the lake for about twenty minutes the other day, 8F redfish taper, 9ft leader, 15lb tippet.

Started out just flipping it out over the boat ramp watching the action as it dropped to the bottom, short jerks caused great action.

The fly wasn't weighted, it had a nice slow flat drop. Nice erratic movement when stripped...the coolest part was when you brought it to the surface, you could pop it like a top water...the lip spits water or slow down the retrieve and it creates a V wake on the surface.

Hope to get out on the bay this week end (weather gods permitting) and fish west bay. Will fish one against the other, let you know what I think post some pics.

That is a great looking fly, Dave. I've been curious about how those Flylipps work. Looks like it will kill on the flats