Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mike15851

metz microbarb vs keough saddles

what is the difference? is there any real advantage one has over the other? I am seriously considering the microbarbs but want a little feedback first.

I have used the Metz microbarb saddles, and like the product. I haven't used the Keough, so can't compare.

Just recently bought 2 Keough #1 Dry fly saddles. They are great, one will tie 14, 16 & 18 the other will tie 16, 18 & 20. I paid $40 for both. I don't think Metz micro barb will go that small

carlp

Never used Keough but I can attest to Metz's quality. I like the micro barb stuff alot, makes great dries. I tie alot with it, and love it.

what is the difference? is there any real advantage one has over the other? I am seriously considering the microbarbs but want a little feedback first.

Very comparable products. I tend to like Bill Keough's hackle better because it comes in a wider range of colors. The Keough saddles tend to be a bit larger on average (in my experience), although you can find smaller ones with a bit of searching. Denny Rickards uses the Metz Microbarb saddles for his patterns, and he has them dyed his favorite colors by Jay Fair. I have a Rickard's Metz saddle, and a couple of other "naturals" and they are a first rate product.

At the exact same price point, color, and size, it would be a toss up between the two. However, I think the Keough saddles are a bit cheaper -- depending on the grade, sometimes a LOT cheaper. The answer depends on your source, price, color, size, etc.

carlp, where did you find the keough saddles?

I bought them from Keough direct when the Fly Fishing show was going on here in Denver. He was very helpful.

carlp

maybe it's just the area I live in but the metz seem to be more available around here. I have had some trouble finding the keough online.

maybe it's just the area I live in but the metz seem to be more available around here. I have had some trouble finding the keough online.

There are a lot of places you can get Keough online (Cabelas, the Fly Shop, etc.), but I personally hate ordering hackle online so I would go with the brand I can see, touch, and size before I would buy another from an internet source. YMMV.

the one shop around me is having a sale next weekend on all fly tying material. I am going to get there early on the first day to see if I can get some microbarbs cheap.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Mike, you can purchase Keough, Metz or Whiting from Hookhack.com

At one time, I would only use Metz until I began to have problems with "twisters" The hackle would spiral around the hook. I did some internet research and found out this was genetic. The base of the hackle stem was square causing the stem to spin as the hackle was wrapped. I had this on several necks that I purchased. I was told to trim further up the hackle stem or add a layer of dubbing for the hackle to sit on. Alas, nothing would work. It is really disturbing to buy a high grade cape and have this occur. Breaks your heart. Anyway, I began to add the bucks and will now only buy Whiting. I have not had this problem to this date.

Now I am sure Metz has improved their quality since those days but I am not willing to spend the money to find out.

Screw me once shame on you screw me twice shame on me.

I tried Keough from Hookhack a very long time ago and it was very soft, webby hackle. Could have improved.

I really am reluctant to buy a cape sight unseen so I usually have to pay top dollar at a fly shop.

You can't tell a twister until you tie a stem on and try it. I usually ask if there is some gaurantee that the thing won't twist. They always say yes, but I wonder.

Addition: I just tried Hookhack and Keough has a blank page. Wonder what's going on?

I just bought a whiting saddle last night. I will let you know what I think when it gets here and I have a chance to try it out.