Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Al Beatty

Finally Got the D300

Hi group,

We finally got the extra funds to purchase a used D300 (only 7K clicks) and it arrived yesterday. It is definitely a step up from the D200 but both are good cameras. We are looking forward to learning about this fun tool and thankfully spring (with lots of flowers/bugs, etc.) is just around the corner. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Congrats Al! That is exciting. The 300 is a really nice camera and one that you will enjoy for quite some time. I look forward to seeing your images. You going to bring it with you to the show in Utah? It will be nice to see both you and Gretchen.

Take care,

JayMorr

Congratulations, Al! You'll love the CMOS sensor; it makes low-light shooting at least 10 times easier. The color-balance algorithms in this generation of Nikon are vastly superior to those in earlier models, too. Enjoy!

John

Al,

If you have an SB-800 or 900 speedlite, you can now start doing some off shoe flash photography with the built in Flash Commander option in the 300. Let me know if you have questions. I use this a lot with fly work!

Great! Looking forward to your next magazine photo spread.

I think I am only 5,286 clicks away; kind of like 'free' hotel rewards points. :)

Awesome Al!! You will love it. I'm reallllly happy with mine. Lets see some shots!

Hi Group,

We traveled to a show in Albany, OR this past weekend and didn't get to play with the camera much but did have to do some catalog shots after returning. Wow! It is a real pleasure to work with and look forward to using it for several projects we have in the works. Interesting note: The darned manual that came with it is about 3 times bigger than the one for the D200. We'll be busy studying for a while.

All of you in Utah: We look forward to seeing you next weekend. We don't often get excited about "another show" after all the years of attending them but we are definitely looking forward to this one! Jayson, we'll pick your brain about the D300. <G> Take care & ...

www.btsflyfishing.com

Congratulations on your new system Al, sorry that I am a bit late to the celebration party but wanted to add some more thoughts for you. I noticed that you spoke of flower photography and I already know that you will use it for fly and fly fishing shots so, thought that I would add some additional thoughts for you.

There is a wireless system that I think you may love, it is the Nikon SB R1 Speedlight System: Here is a link of older information for you http://www.dpreview.com/news/0511/05110102nikonremotefl.asp Adorama Camera still has it http://www.adorama.com/NKR1.html and the SB R1C1 comes with the SU800 commander http://www.adorama.com/NKR1C1.html

Now for the nuts and bolts of the application of this system :). I have been using this system for several years and do use it on commercial shoots, both fashion and product photography. Personally, I have added additional SB R200’s to fill out the speed ring and use it as a speedlight for either high key or just fill light, both on and off camera. The advantage of the SU800 is the fact that the Radio Popper PX and mini studio version transmitter wil work with the SU800 and with the receivers on the SB900’s, SB800’s, Sb600’s and/or SB200’s the TTL system is still fully functional and the SU800 Commander is 100% fully functional from the camera. This reduces the need for an assistant to manually adjust the lights for you as you can still do it from the SU800 unit. Without the RP’s, the SU800 is still functional but uses an infrared signal, as opposed to radio waves.

Applications with set up: With the included SW11 You can both bend and diffuse the light brilliantly. This is great for extreme close ups and delivers great diffused light with very little specular, it also promotes great wrap around lighting. At great distances and for terrific broad lighting, including shooting fat(not actual fat but shoot what is known as shooting fat), there are Sto-Fen omni bounce domes that are available for the SB 200’s and they do a great job as well. The kits come with gels and as a bare light, they deliver a fair amount of good hard light, dependent upon distance to subject. The thing to remember about flash is, every time that we double the amount of equal light source, we increase the focal range, or fstop, of light by one stop. The Speed ring can hold up to a total of 8 SB200’s so, this is equal to a total of 3 stops more intensity of just one SB200 so, it is a very usable and applicable speedring system for many applications.

The other advantage is that they are wireless with 3 groups and 4 channels so, they are great tools for creative macro photography, one of the best systems that I can think of for creative lighting in the type of photography that I think you do a lot of. With some DIY gobo’s some very creative lighting and brilliant lighting controls allow for some rather unique macro photography, which would not be possible with any other lighting systems.

Hope this helps some and will be happy to add any additional information, fomr my own personal uses and applications for you.:) As a side, I am using the Nikon wireless systems more and more on a majority of my commercial shoots, not because it is cheaper as my application ends up costing more than going for mono strobes. The advantage is, I can fit 13 speedlights, cables, batteries, gobo’s and gels into “one” 1600 pelican case & be able to design as much better dramatic lighting effect than I can ever do with mono heads. Also, it is FANTASTIC for location shoots, which most of mine are and I hate the stress level that I had with wondering how much of my equipment was going to be lost by the airlines.

Hope this all helps some..

Hi Ben,

Thanks for all the great information. I just bought several SB600 to use as remotes so I can use the commander mode on the D300. The CLS setup seems to work really well. Thanks again for all the data; it didn't go unread I assure you. Take care & ...

www.btsflyfishing.com