Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AlexC

Which species of minnow is this?

not a BND for sure, either a emerald shiner or fathead depending where it came from...

dace

post-624-1272322134_thumb.jpg

fathead

post-624-1272322016.jpg

emaerald shiner

post-624-1272322023.jpg

Definetly not a black nose dace. the dace has a pointed snout with mouth opening more under its nose. you can see this in my attached picture. i am going with common fathead as well.

post-43467-0-29270500-1357852214_thumb.jpg

If you look at most pictures of "adult" minnows ... what ever species ... the eye is well back from the tip of the snout/mouth. With your "minnow" ... the eye is the foremost feature. This is usually indicative of a fry of some sort. I don't think it's a minnow at all ... I think it's a baby fish (maybe trout) of some species.

Sorry guys its an Emerald Shiner. BND has a more distinct line and is more white under neath, back is brown to blackish. This one is olive backed.

Since someone brought this topic back up.... When trying to identify a forage fish, it is imperative that you tell us what watershed it came from. It also helps to know if it is warm water, cold water, running water of still water. There are literally hundreds of forage fish out there, many of them unique to their own watershed. Most are well enough documented that it shouldn't be a big problem to identify it, IF WE KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM!!!