Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyguy2010

Posting Fly Pics

I have a few flies that i would like to photograph them to post here for critique, but my camera that i currently have will not focus on them because of their tiny size. what all do you guys use to photograph you flies.

Mike

If you've got a digital camera, chances are it has a macro setting. Macro settings basically take an upclose and personal picture and blur the background. Unfortunately, it can be a lot easier said than done to find your macro setting. Google search your camera and try and figure our how to access it, or check your manual. If you don't have a macro setting, then I don't know what to tell you...

Good Luck!

-CF

I have a few flies that i would like to photograph them to post here for critique, but my camera that i currently have will not focus on them because of their tiny size. what all do you guys use to photograph you flies.

Mike

A macro setting is helpful. If your camera doesn't have a macro setting, but has a bunch of megapixels, it might be possible to shoot your flies at a little distance and then crop your pics with some kind of photo editing software without too much loss in resolution. One other thing that can help a lot is a tripod. Holding any camera still with your hands is difficult - especially when your subject is very small and/or you are using your macro setting. I happen to have a full-sized tripod from back in the day when I did a lot of 35mm film photography. My little Canon PowerShot looks pretty silly on that tripod. They make little desktop tripods that would work as well, if not better. If you really get into photographing flies, you might want to consider some specialized equipment. Somewhere I've seen a setup that is largely homemade, but a camera with a macro setting (or one that will accept true macro lenses) and that will accomodate a remote flash pretty much necessary for that kind of set-up.

Mike

my camera is a 12 megapixle i have to shoot on my "flower" setting at about a foot away then crop 90% of the pic