Fly Tying
Dart

Calling all experienced tiers!

One of my first ever:

post-21956-1268885774_thumb.jpg

I'll follow up with a picture of a Kilnkhamer to demonstrate the parachute and fly integrity process!

Hi Dart, I wish I could show you my first fly, it was a black gnat, and about a 12, but it was 1968. Long gone. Second fly I think was a caddis pupae using a rubberband. Dear lord, thousands of bugs later, so many memories. I remember staring at the bins of flies at the Denver company, and oohing the impregnated bamboo rods in the Orvis catalog, all long before I could cast a bamboo fly rod. I do remember my first flyrod caught fish. Trickle park res in Western CO, a cutthroat, about 13 inches, cruising the shallows near dusk, a size 12 White Wulff and only 3 casts. I will never forget that evening. I could tell my dad was concerned, at the time I did not know why. Guess it was his prized Orvis rod in the hands of a 7 or 8 year old. I remember having the confidence of a adult with that rod.... Only recently did I remember that feeling, I do remember throwing a good loop and about 25 feet of line on a 9 footish leader.

Cheers, Jeff.

This is one of my first ones, tied a little over a year ago (I keep it in a drawer in a small plastic hook box.)

Followed by my last effort.

then.jpg

now.jpg

Mike

Now that's just showing off Mike :P

with good instruction manuals and a little help from experienced tiers (i.e. forums like this....well, just this one) even the self taught tier can whip out masterpieces with a little practice , a willingness to take a little criticism / advice, and a desire to understand the techniques . I learn something new everyday.

with good instruction manuals and a little help from experienced tiers (i.e. forums like this....well, just this one) even the self taught tier can whip out masterpieces with a little practice , a willingness to take a little criticism / advice, and a desire to understand the techniques . I learn something new everyday.

Yep. I never want people to "be nice" about my ties. Of course, I like it when others appreciate my ties (which I haven't even been posting many of), but I like it even more when an expert takes the time to help me correct the little things. If I ever get to a point where I'm not improving in this hobby, I'll probably be done. Fortunately, I don't see that day coming.

Hear, hear! I gotta admit a flaw of my personality, I'm a little blunt and sometimes confrontational in my advise to people... I guess you could call it a full personality? At any rate, if some advise I give sounds harsh, take it as the opposite, I don't mean it that way! Hell, I'm not even experienced enough to be giving the advise I'm giving but what can I do?

Anyways, I like seeing the newest tiers develop - I like seeing me develop! Anything worth doing is worth doing well and everything good takes time!

Now to get that Klinkhamer photographed... which people may know is not my forte.

Now that's just showing off Mike :P

ain't it, 'tho :rolleyes:

I'll have to agree....just showing off... lol

Dudes! Is this pick on Mike time or what? You guys are mean. :butt: :hypocrite:

Mike

post-19012-1269035079_thumb.jpgpost-19012-1269035110_thumb.jpg

Here's one I tied a couple of days ago. I call it the Crazy Redhorse after the redhorse minnow (a.k.a. red shiner).