Fly Tying
Dart

Calling all experienced tiers!

Here are a couple of recent flies.

I like the choice of materials in both of these flies. Dry flies are my Achilles' Heel. I have found that all one can do is study the technique and practice. Choose a nice stiff hackle approriate to your hook size. I love the wing on the first one, but is needs to be shorter. And work close to the head of your fly without crowding the eye, but not so far back that 1/5 of thr fly is head. Not criticizing, jsut offering some very broad advice. Love the choice for the wing. I use similiar hen feathers for wings on "mothy" looking generic dries. I am quickly becaoming a huge fan of synthetic burned wings just for profile.

Here are some shad flies I've tied recently! :)

Shad flies tied on gold, long shank Carlisle style hooks:

post-17678-1269043602_thumb.jpg

A tube fly:

post-17678-1269043618_thumb.jpg

Leadeye & bead chain eye shad flies:

post-17678-1269043644_thumb.jpg

Experiments:

post-17678-1269043658_thumb.jpg

Clouser style:

post-17678-1269043689_thumb.jpg

Good looking flies. If you guys don't have the first fly you ever tied, just some earlier ties would do. The aim is to show how much tiers can improve... I didn't want to derail the "Flies from the vice" thread.

Like many others, I no longer have the first fly I tied (which is a good thing). But here are a couple of recent ties. I am re-reading Dave Hughes' book "Wet Flies" and am trying to tie soft hackles following his instructions. The top fly is the first one I tied with Pearsall's gossamer silk, and the second one is one I tied after getting some advice on this forum. I still have lots of work to do, but that's what keeps it fun. I hope to have a full selection of soft hackles ready when the stream season opens here in Idaho in June.

post-20675-1269103075_thumb.jpg

post-20675-1269103147_thumb.jpg

Like many others, I no longer have the first fly I tied (which is a good thing). But here are a couple of recent ties. I am re-reading Dave Hughes' book "Wet Flies" and am trying to tie soft hackles following his instructions. The top fly is the first one I tied with Pearsall's gossamer silk, and the second one is one I tied after getting some advice on this forum. I still have lots of work to do, but that's what keeps it fun. I hope to have a full selection of soft hackles ready when the stream season opens here in Idaho in June.

Nice flies!

This is the very first hook I ever wrapped a hackle around. If I remember correctly, I thought it looked pretty good and I was proud of it. What happened to me where I'm constantly critical?

IMG_3902.JPG

This is my most recent popper body. It's not tailed yet b/c I can't decide what I want to do to it.

IMG_3903.JPG

And here is the last popper I painted and tailed:

IMG_3860.JPG

I've only been tying a little over a year now but I keep changing what I tie.

I started with egg patterns and have hundreds of them now.

eggi.jpg

I then moved to tying hair wings, These ones I'd say are 6-8 months into tying.

dscn5180.jpg

dscn5185np.jpg

I then started tying anything I could find to a hook and throwing them at pike. What a rush I'm now totally addicted to fish with teeth.

dscn5200p.jpg

My most recent pike flies are sitting on my desk now, I'll try and take some pictures later to add to this post.

like most people i lost my first fly i ever tied :wallbash: I have been tying for about 2 years..... And i still cant belive how good mike is

:yahoo:

but here is one recent! tied this one for the mustad Scandinavian open this year.

post-18259-1269378107_thumb.jpg

dont worry! it takes time.... and consistent tying. that is probally the best tip i can give. Tie consistently. even if it is 2 flies a night keep tying consistently. If you dont like one part undo it and then try again.. it is ok if you keep going back and one fly takes you a half an hour thats fine. your tying will improve over time.